Official Review: Dear H by Diane Guntrip

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Dear H by Diane Guntrip

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear H" by Diane Guntrip.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dear H by Diane Guntrip is a children’s book written in diary form. It follows the story of 12-year-old Amanda as she endures bullying due to her weight and appearance. On top of the bullying, Amanda just doesn’t feel like she can confide in her parents. She writes to her imaginary friend “H” to help her cope with her insecurities and the relentless bullies at her school, the worst of which is a girl named Cassandra who will not let Amanda forget how “fat and frumpy” she is. However, she might just have one trick up her sleeve to make the bullying stop. You’ll have to read this book to see what that trick might be.

This is an amazing book with a great lesson. Amanda is a character that many children and young teens could relate to, especially if they have experienced bullying. This book teaches what some of the effects of bullying can be. I love that it does this in a light-hearted way that isn’t too serious for such a young group of readers. Even though it is light-hearted, you really can’t miss the message because it is coming straight from the character who is being bullied. Bullying is a very relevant topic in society today, especially for those close to Amanda’s age, and this book did a great job bringing the problem to light.

The style of writing sounded just like a 12-year-old girl who is confiding in her diary. It was very believable, and I found myself hanging on every word. Amanda was dramatic at times and vulnerable at others, and she reminded me quite a bit of myself at that age (frumpiness included). There were even a few parts I found myself laughing at. This inclusion of humor really broke up the seriousness of the book, which I think is important since it is intended for a young audience. As a whole, I think it is perfectly written for that audience.

I also have to commend this author on the careful editing that was apparent in this book. I only noticed a few minor errors here and there, and they never detracted from the story. This is especially important in children’s books, and I appreciate the time that was put into the editing of this book.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing was excellent, the grammar was on point, and the message was very touching. I honestly can’t think of anything to complain about with this book. The author really did a great job making such a difficult topic so easy to read about. I would recommend Dear H to all children around middle school age, especially those who have been subjected to bullying.

Dear H
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This seems like a necessary and entertaining book, especially for kids with appearance insecurity or bullying issue. Thank you for this lovely review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This reminds me a bit of the style of Dear God, It's Me, Margaret. It seems like a fabulous children's book with a great theme. It's something that all children need to be aware of. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like a really cool and needed book on bullying. I think I would like to read it as well. Thanks for your review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an insightful review! The book sounds interesting and thought-provoking. I like that there is some humor to balance the serious subject matter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

What was the trick? I can't wait to read this book.You've got me reeled in.

Return to “Children's Books”