Official Review: Blueberry Boy by eelonqa K harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Blueberry Boy by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blueberry Boy" by eelonqa K harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blueberry Boy by Eelonqa K Harris is a graphic novel about an eight-year-old boy with a disorder. Blueberry Boy is deeply loved by his family and friends, but others make fun of him because he has trouble saying the right things. Blueberry Boy tends to keep to himself, but his limitation helps him become more aware of the world. He notices a selfish leader who is a terrible bully, and he sees many adults choosing to emulate this leader. Blueberry Boy believes people should be kinder and more generous, but how can one boy change the behavior of adults around the world?

This is an important book for multiple reasons. Blueberry Boy includes themes related to identity, community, global events and bullying. The author’s ability to touch upon all of these subjects with great detail and limited text is illuminating. Additionally, Blueberry Boy is Coast Salish, an indigenous group rarely represented in mainstream media. Many young children will find the main character relatable, especially children who feel marginalized by societal norms.

Although the messages in this book are important, the meticulously crafted illustrations are what set it apart from others in the genre. As with most graphic novels, the author relied mostly on illustrations to tell the story. In Blueberry Boy, Harris used photographs of real-life settings. However, the characters in the photographs are unique. Harris inventively fabricated avatars using a mixed-media approach. Action figurines, alpaca hair, 3D printed garments, and photographs of people from the author's First Nation community were all used to create the avatars that gave the story life.

Additionally, each image found in Blueberry Boy is complex. For example, one page of the book describes how the protagonist was bullied. Though the text on the page is brief, the illustration speaks volumes. Blueberry Boy is shown sitting against a building with a forlorn expression. Behind the boy are shadows that depict the bullying he previously endured. I was fascinated by the author’s use of positive and negative space and the juxtaposition of the static image of Blueberry Boy against the active image of the shadows.

Blueberry Boy is an exceptional book, and I liked everything about it. The inventive artwork coupled with the powerful story make this a must read. Further, the book is perfectly edited. Since I was blown away by the imaginative images and poignant story, I rate Blueberry Boy 4 out of 4 stars. This book may appeal to a wide audience. The protagonist is eight, so children around that age will relate to this book and its themes. However, I also recommend Blueberry Boy to teens and adults who enjoy forward-thinking graphic novels and unique imagery.

Blueberry Boy
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Flowers In The Attic
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Wow, this sounds like a super interesting book. I love the concept of telling about the world's current culture through a kid and the added illustrations sound amazing! I definitely am interested in reading this one!
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

What a great review! Books on bullying always try to depict the power of words and how it impacts peoples lives. I know that it touched on bullying that occurs in schools but did it perhaps also touch on online bullying? It would be amazing if this book was included in primary and high school curriculums, so many great lessons to be learnt.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like a great book to keep in mind for my son to read a few years from now. Thank you for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I am very impressed by the way you have described this book. The themes and the illustrations sound appealing. You have definitely piqued my interest!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Coast Salish? I haven't heard of that. Blueberry boy sounds like a great kid despite his issues. Hopefully he can inspire other children. This sounds like quite the book. Thanks for the review. 😊
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like such a perfectly-constructed book! Not only are the issues explored well, the physical book itself, with the illustrations, is also a work of art. Thanks for the lovely review!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I see this book as an encouraging read especially for people struggling with a disorder. I would love to know more about the struggles he faces.
Poysea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poysea.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Poysea »

Definitely need to read this!

Return to “Children's Books”