Official Review: The Adventures Of Riley & Elfy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Adventures Of Riley & Elfy

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures Of Riley & Elfy" by E. Matheson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Riley and Elfy by E. Matheson is an illustrated children’s book. The two main characters, Riley and Elfy Uist, are rabbit-like creatures who live on an island. This fifty-five-page book is a collection of four standalone stories about various encounters the Uists have with other animals on the island. In the stories, the siblings make new friends, go on a fishing trip, encounter a frightening foe and even build a submarine!

The most appealing aspects of this book are the illustrations. Hand drawn in earthy, naturalistic tones, G.B. Serafica’s illustrations are reminiscent of those found in the classic series Frog and Toad. Each animal is drawn with realistic detail, and most of the scenic images encompass a full page. Further, the narrative text typically appears on an adjacent white page; however, in the few cases where the text overlaps with the illustration, the text is strategically placed and does not detract from the meticulously drawn images.

An overarching theme of friendship can be found throughout each of the four stories. Young children will enjoy reading about Riley and Elfy supporting their friends, like when the two help a lost baby seal. Similarly, readers will be touched by the generosity of the other animals, like when Elfy finds herself in danger and is assisted by a dear friend. In general, each of the four stories is heartwarming, and the theme of friendship is organically intertwined within each story; it never feels as though the author is forcing a point on the reader.

As a whole, The Adventures of Riley and Elfy is long for a children’s book, but the individual stories are the perfect length for a bedtime read. Although the book includes some higher-level vocabulary words, like "loch" and "croft," these words are all defined within the text, making this book suitable for a young audience. I recommend this book be read to children aged three to seven; the universal themes of friendship make this book suitable for all children in this age range.

Unfortunately, this book needs another round of editing. The majority of the errors I encountered were related to improperly punctuated dialogue. These errors did not hinder the flow of the narrative, though they were noticeable. Lastly, the book is missing a table of contents. Since the book is a collection of four different stories, a guide would have been helpful.

Overall, The Adventures of Riley and Elfy is a book I would love to have in hardcopy. I can see myself reading the stories in this book to my children again and again, and the illustrations are simply beautiful. However, the editorial mishaps force me to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. With another round of editing, this will easily be a four-star book.

The Adventures Of Riley & Elfy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Awesome review! It sounds like a wonderful book for children. I love when authors use unique illustrations for their books instead of stock images.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The illustrations almost sounds like they make the book. It is another cute children's story. It's too bad about the small errors, though it would be easy to take care of them in another round of editing. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Leyxah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leyxah »

That's good to hear. My family loves children's books, so it's fun to find new ones.
tramadam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by tramadam »

Thank you for a review,it sounds interesting.Adventure of Riley & Elfy,am will get to read for the children.

Return to “Children's Books”