Official Review: Dreamcats by Christopher Best

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Dreamcats by Christopher Best

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreamcats" by Christopher Best.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dreamcats by Christopher Best features two siblings who are in the midst of a shared dream. David and Elsa find themselves in a town run by oversized cats who act like people. The kids are captured and thrown into a compound for “stray” humans. In the town of Felinestow, humans are good for only two purposes – to be adopted as a pet, or killed and turned into food. A kindly police cat, George, takes David and Elsa home as pets, but their troubles are far from over. Things turn chaotic when a group of Siamese cats declares war on the town.

This 198-page children’s book contains many inventive touches, but the plot is very busy. The story begins with clear imagery of the setting, including cutesy cat names for restaurants and other locations. After the children are detained, the focus is on a typical “how do we escape” dilemma. Then the plot goes off track with various side stories, such as the Siamese attack and political dissent.

David and Elsa are fleshed out well as two children who are aware that they are caught up in a dream. They are frightened, yet try to remain calm under pressure. George is a standout as a wise, compassionate cat. He is showcased to the point where the siblings often feel like supporting characters.

One problem I had was the way humans were treated in this fantasy town. Young readers could wind up having nightmares about being captured and eaten by cats. I cringed when I saw the word slaughterhouse used several times in one chapter.

The tale plods forward slowly, due in part to the author’s rambling writing style. I found myself rereading long-winded sentences for clarity. The story appears to be edited well, with only a few errors (you’re/your and an incorrectly placed comma). Also, the author includes several references that older adults might appreciate, but children wouldn’t relate to – for example, Anthony and Cleopatra, Oscar Wildebeast, etc.

There are no pictures other than a generic set of paw prints between each chapter. Certainly, illustrations aren’t required in a children’s chapter book. Still, the imaginative descriptions scream for accompanying artwork. Adding a few plot-related illustrations might keep a young reader’s mind from wandering.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. With a long-winded writing style and meandering plot, it didn’t hold my interest consistently. That being said, readers ages 9-11 might enjoy the creative descriptions and relate to the main characters having a weird dream. Although the book could be read aloud to younger children, it is very long and includes sophisticated political themes. Teens would likely find the subject matter too juvenile for their taste.

Dreamcats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book about two siblings who share a dream about human-like cats sounds original. It sounds like a book with a potential. A pity about the meandering plot, the rambling writing style, and lack of illustrations. kids at that age love pictures in their books. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems, as I've seen before, that the author wasn't clear about the age group for this before writing. The use of the word slaughterhouse made me cringe as well. I just don't think this is for me. Thanks for the review, but it seems that the author has some work to do.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

A cat eating a human does sound a little gross. If it wasn't for that, it would sound like a great kids book. Thank you.
:tiphat:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

One problem I had was the way humans were treated in this fantasy town. Young readers could wind up having nightmares about being captured and eaten by cats. I cringed when I saw the word slaughterhouse used several times in one chapter.
Although I love children's books, I think I will pass on this one. I don't like the way humans are treated in this book; in fact, humans being eaten by cats? NO WAY. However, thank you for detailed review!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow, the use of the word slaughterhouse in a children's book would cause me to cringe, too! This doesn't sound like a book I would recommend to young readers, but I appreciate your candid review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I know some of the classic fairytales had violent storylines - didn't the wolf plot to eat Little Red Riding Hood? :) Still, the thought of getting chopped up and served as cat food is pretty nauseating.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This sounds like a great plot line! I am very interested in this book. I am disappointed by what you've said about the author's rambling; long-winded communications and unpoliced tangents are pet peeves of mine. Despite that disenchantment, I still find myself interested in reading this story. So, thank you for sharing!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Jagiine wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 22:34 This sounds like a great plot line! I am very interested in this book. I am disappointed by what you've said about the author's rambling; long-winded communications and unpoliced tangents are pet peeves of mine. Despite that disenchantment, I still find myself interested in reading this story. So, thank you for sharing!
The story has so much potential because the premise is very unique and creative. The writing style is not the best for a children's book because long-winded sentences can be hard for children to comprehend.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Yes, if also not recommend the horror aspects for a children's book. But, as an adult who loves cats, I think it could suit me.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

Yeah, politics and slaughterhouses really aren't kid-friendly topics. That's a really important point.

...I think I might be the unintended audience. I'm part of a slim portion of society that is an adult with totally childish tastes. I can understand the politics and enjoy the mostly childish world of Dreamcats.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

JordanKSmith wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 21:18 Yeah, politics and slaughterhouses really aren't kid-friendly topics. That's a really important point.

...I think I might be the unintended audience. I'm part of a slim portion of society that is an adult with totally childish tastes. I can understand the politics and enjoy the mostly childish world of Dreamcats.
Actually, you might be the intended audience! The story seems more suited to adults who like fun fantasy themes. :)
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think this book is probably best for adults. Even though the cover illustration seems like it could belong to a typical children's story, the plot and the way humans are treated make the story sound like adults would appreciate the story more. I would not feel comfortable introducing this book to my students, but I would love to read it for my own personal pleasure. Since I am a fan or horror stories and I love reading anything with gore, I am very excited to read this book. I want to find out more about the human slaughterhouses. I think this book would appeal to adults with a dark, dry sense of humor (like me). Thanks! While I wouldn't recommend this book to children, it's definitely going on my "want to read" list.
:character-ariel:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I like the sound of this book, it's rare that you hear about a shared dream experience and I'm a fan of animals that behave as humans and speak. I'm also surprised at the length of this book. When my reading list slims down I may have a look at this book. It is odd for this to be categorized as a children's book but in recent years books have been written to consider, introduce, and cover more heavy subjects. Maybe it is a commentary on the dog meat situation in China, or it is an interesting fantasy book that has a different audience all together haha.
yisellesuarez
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by yisellesuarez »

"Dreamcats" seems like a story fit for introducing and teaching childrens about difficult subjects of real world.

Return to “Children's Books”