Official Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Love Across Lifetimes by Debby Ng

Official Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure

Post by KristyKhem » 16 Dec 2018, 13:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure" by Faye McFarland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The best kind of children’s stories are the ones which feature animals as the main characters. Elizabeth Munk’s Forest Edge Adventure is a children’s story which features a family of chipmunks. It was written by Faye McFarland. Her story follows Elizabeth Munk, the youngest chipmunk child, who accompanies her brothers to the Forest Edge. According to their mom, they must all work hard to gather food for winter. Elizabeth has a fun time exploring the woods, but what will she bring back to the burrow? Will it be sunflower seeds, holly berries, and pine nuts? Or will it be beautiful treasures of the forest?

This was a fun story. Elizabeth Munk had a sprightly personality. She loved adventure and raced outdoors as soon as she could to begin foraging. Although she had never climbed trees before, she was fearless when it came to doing this. Moreover, she loved nature. In the story, Elizabeth laughed as the breeze tickled her fur and she relished the feel of the cold raindrops on her face. Wesley Lowe’s illustrations also captured Elizabeth’s personality quite well. In one picture, he drew Elizabeth racing out of the burrow in excitement and in another, she was drawn with her paws open to the sky while the rain fell around her. The story definitely showcased a contagious enthusiasm for adventure and nature. I think that this can motivate children to enjoy the outdoors and inspire them to experience new things.

Despite the fact that animals cannot talk in real life, the author and illustrator allowed the book to be a learning resource for children. Although Wesley Lowe designed the animated illustrations using a colored-pencil and watercolor effect, he used realistic colors for the chipmunks. There was also a small section at the end of the book which gave facts about the Least Chipmunk which is the species of chipmunk which was featured in the story. A glossary was included which gave the meaning of some of the bigger words, like ‘omnivore’ and ‘hibernate’. I really liked this feature of the book as I learned a lot about these animals.

Creativity was one of the main elements of the book. In the story, seemingly useless items were put together to create new things. In addition to creativity, this part of the story may also have been a nod to recycling. This was an excellent feature of the story. This concept can teach children to see the value in useless objects. It can encourage youngsters to creatively reuse objects or inspire them to create something totally new.

I was really pleased that this book contained no errors. To me, it seemed as if it were professionally edited. I liked everything about this book and I’m delighted to award it 4 out of 4 stars. Elizabeth Munk’s Forest Edge Adventure will appeal to youngsters aged 7 and over.

Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kandscreeley » 18 Dec 2018, 09:02

I love creative children's books, and this one certainly fits the bill. I'm not really in the age range for this one, but it still seems cute. Thanks so much for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Love Across Lifetimes by Debby Ng

Post by KristyKhem » 18 Dec 2018, 15:40

kandscreeley wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 09:02
I love creative children's books, and this one certainly fits the bill. I'm not really in the age range for this one, but it still seems cute. Thanks so much for the information.
You're very welcome, thank you for commenting :)

SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by George Neumann

Post by SpencerVo » 28 Dec 2018, 09:04

Your review is so detailed and delightful to read. I think this book is a "serious children's book" which sounds quite contradicting, but what I mean is that this book leans towards the knowledgeable and creative sides while also teaching young children many fun things about nature, exploration, and cherishing small items. I'm over the age of the target audience, but I'd love to read this book. Thank you for this lovely review!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Alicia09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Alicia09 » 01 Jan 2019, 16:25

This sounds like a fun story my students will love. Some of their favorite books have animals as the main characters.
Do the characters in this book talk?
:character-beavisbutthead:

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sweet Psamy » 11 Jan 2019, 11:07

I love the fact that seemingly useless things were put together to create new things. That was quite innovative of the author.

Return to “Children's Books”