Official Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love, Sugar & Cookie" by Susan Marie Chapman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Come meet two adorable little dogs, Sugar and Cookie, in Susan Marie Chapman’s children’s nonfiction text, Love, Sugar & Cookie.

Sugar and Cookie are twin sisters that share several similarities and yet they are very different. While Sugar eats very fast and doesn’t enjoy walks, Cookie takes her time eating and loves to run. At the end of the day, though, the two small dogs have much love and care for one another.

This was an interesting tale about these two dogs. On the positive side, the real-life pictures included were adorable and the fluffiness of Sugar and Cookie were very visible. Undoubtedly, many children will gush over their petite size and their silliness. While reading, the author also clearly demonstrates her love and care for both Sugar and Cookie.

On the other hand, the writing style left a lot to be desired. Though I can see how the simplistic approach to writing can be appealing for some children, I’m afraid I cannot see it holding the attention of many. The text was very rigid and utilized the “tell, not show” approach. In addition, there was a missed opportunity for children to be able to expand their learning. For instance, the breed of Sugar and Cookie was missing.

I also found it off-putting to have every letter of every word capitalized throughout the length of the text. This can send a confusing and incorrect message to children in the proper way of writing. Unfortunately, there were also some errors while reading, which again can harm children’s ability to write properly.

As a fair warning for young readers, the word, “hates”, is used once and there is a mention of “boyfriends”. Being a teacher, “hate” is a word I tend to avoid using and “boyfriends” is a topic that may not be appropriate to discuss with young children.

When looking at the premise, some children will gravitate toward the straightforwardness of Love, Sugar & Cookie. Nonetheless, with its stiff writing, the included errors, and some word choices, I grant this book a 2 out of 4 stars. The simplicity of the text would be best suited for toddlers and preschool-aged children.

Love, Sugar & Cookie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Maybe the author should have made it a picture book, I'd buy it just for the pictures!
Very informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This doesn't quite seem appropriate for children. But, yes, the pictures alone would be cute for many who love dogs. I still think I'll pass on this. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sugar and Cookie do look quite fluffy and adorable. Even I would enjoy seeing a few pictures of them. However, the story sounds like it needs some work.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The names are making me hungry. All the capitalization might take some getting use to. Great review!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an awkward read for young children, definitely! Still, the pictures are certainly a plus. Thanks for the review!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I appreciate children stories and this one sounds very intriguing.Infact am already in love with Sugar and cookie.Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”