Review by abbiejoice -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by abbiejoice -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by abbiejoice »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley's book titled "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" is a hilarious and engaging story about why a boy's book smells really bad. This book begins by giving a hint that something is wrong with the book. Then, like a detective story, it investigates about the various things that could have made the book smell so bad.

This method of reading the book by trying to put on the role of a detective is very effective. It arouses the interest of its readers, particularly the young children. It develops their imagination and their deductive reasoning. It also helps trigger an interactive activity between parent and child as both try to look for the relevant clues they need. All these include humor, too. Parents and children will never lack any reason to laugh as they continue reading the story.

The illustrations within the book were very helpful. The book had been presented in such a way as to represent a very worn out and messy book. Each page has a different story and a different smell. It's like a guessing game where the readers can contribute their own ideas as to what kind of smell could possibly result from a particular stain.

I think it's what I liked best about the book. It's very interactive in a funny sort of way and this can very well be a good bonding moment for parents and their children. With most storybooks, children only listened as their parents narrated the story. This book, however, invites a response from children. That's what makes the book more effective in catching their attention.

I can't think of anything I didn't like about the book. It was a very delightful read that has been professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's definitely a book that parents can find worth reading to their children. Aside from learning about cleanliness, children can also learn how to use their investigative skills. Parents and children can certainly have an enjoyable and memorable time trying to play like detectives as they read this wonderful book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like abbiejoice's review? Post a comment saying so!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

abbiejoice wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:26 Aside from learning about cleanliness, children can also learn how to use their investigative skills.
This is true. I didn't see it from that perspective when I did mine.
Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”