Official Review: No Playing Frisbee Today by Tanja Huston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: No Playing Frisbee Today by Tanja Huston

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Playing Frisbee Today" by Tanja Huston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's hard to see a loved one suffer, but it's especially difficult when that pain comes from something as serious as cancer. When Juju goes to meet up with his friends, they notice that he looks a bit down and his little brother and sister aren't with him. They're relieved when they realize that Auggie and Izzy are okay, but crushed when they find out the frown on Juju's face is due to his mom having breast cancer. Worse yet, Juju feels responsible for it!

"It's all my fault. Mommy asked me to help around the house and I told her I didn't want to!"
No Playing Frisbee Today by Tanja Huston is a children's picture book about the feelings one might have about a loved one being diagnosed with cancer. Jewels, one of Juju's friends, says that her aunt had cancer and is able to tell him a bit about what to expect, such as how Juju's mom will lose her hair from the medicine she'll take.

I really liked this innocent overview of the battle with cancer. Tanja sticks to words that children will understand, and in fact "medicine" is probably the most scientific, complex word in the book aside from the phrase "breast cancer". The author manages to keep things calm and not make cancer sound scary; it's something that his mom will have to face head on and defeat, but then she'll be fine.

As this is a picture book, a good deal of the enjoyment comes from the art itself. The cover of the book is a perfect representation of what's inside, and it gave me a lovely newspaper comic strip vibe. The backgrounds aren't the most detailed, but the characters are cute enough and you can certainly feel their joy and sadness! At the time of this review the book is only available in hardcover, and the 8"x8" book has very solid covers and easy to read pages. In fact, not only are the images easy to see at a distance, so is the text. The text is always set on the left page and the single full-page image on the right, so there's no worry about text vs. background color issues.

In fact, throughout the entire book I found only one negative thing to mention: there was a single grammatical error early in the story. One of the children, when asking where Juju's brother and sister are, asks "Where is Auggie and Izzy?" While this is typically how people speak (especially when shortening it to merely "where's"), this may be misleading about how the sentence should actually flow, especially in a children's book.

With the way cancer is seemingly becoming more and more rampant as the years go on, No Playing Frisbee Today will likely be a rather timely book for many children. It's a great way to show children that it's not necessarily fatal (death isn't even mentioned in the book!) and that it's certainly not any child's fault. Guilt is a terrible thing and children have a way of feeling it even when it's the furthest thing from the truth, so it's nice that Tanja went out of the way in this book to clarify that it isn't Juju's fault. Tanja herself is a cancer survivor and mother, so she likely needed to reassure her own children of this fact. It's an easy recommendation for any young children who need to be introduced to cancer, whether it's a child with cancer themself, a relative, friend, or anyone that's caused them to be curious. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars; the single error I found is nowhere near enough to mark a point off.

No Playing Frisbee Today
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great children's book with a message that, unfortunately, will be applicable to many. Glad it's done so well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This seems to be a fantastic book! I look forward to reading it myself, one day. I hope that nobody I know will need the book, but, as you said, cancer is appearing to be a larger part of our lives nowadays.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Cancer is a difficult and devastating topic to explain to a kid, so I'm glad that there is a good children's book out there to tackle this problem. Thank you for this detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Return to “Children's Books”