Official Review: Ellie and Her Emotional Dragons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Ellie and Her Emotional Dragons

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ellie and Her Emotional Dragons" by Joseph Goodrich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ellie and her Emotional Dragons is a delightful children’s storybook by Joseph Goodrich. Traci Van Wagoner’s illustrations depict the story in beautiful colors. The main character is Ellie, a young elephant who has just moved into a new home with her family. This makes Ellie feel scared, angry, and sad. Thankfully, there are four friendly dragons who live in Ellie’s closet who come out to comfort her when she experiences different emotions. Each dragon helps Ellie to express her emotions and overcome the emotions of sadness, fear, and anger. One dragon helps her to express happiness.

One of the best features of this book is that it teaches children emotional intelligence. Coping methods for anger, sadness, and fear are explored in the story. For instance, when Ellie becomes scared of the sounds in her new home, one of the dragons reassures her that it’s okay to feel frightened. The dragon also informs her of a great way to get rid of her fear. I think that children can get some really good advice from this book. This may help them to manage their emotions better.

Peer interaction greatly enhances the story. In the story, Ellie’s new neighbor makes her angry when he accidentally damages her drawing, but then he apologizes and offers to help her fix it. This is an excellent example of good behavior. I like that the author uses a realistic example to portray the right way for children to respond to each other in similar situations. Some children emulate the behavior of storybook characters so the interaction between Ellie and her neighbor is definitely a positive feature of the story.

I really like the illustrations in this book. The illustrator uses a paint-splatter design that resembles watercolors. This gives the drawings a whimsical appearance, especially the dragons’ tails which fades into colorful splotches. The colors are bright and will surely stimulate any child’s imagination. Moreover, the font is large and easy to read.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. It has all of the elements that a children’s storybook should have such as important lessons, examples of good behavior, and beautiful illustrations. There were zero errors and I think it is professionally edited. I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to children aged 6 and up. There may be a few words which may need to be explained to younger readers, like ‘radiator’, but the story can still be read aloud to them by an adult. Moreover, the illustrations tell the story in pictures so children who can’t read very well as yet will still be able to enjoy the book.

Ellie and Her Emotional Dragons
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This book sounds lovely and should be very appealing to young readers. I love the book cover. It looks delightful and so colorful. Thanks for the enjoyable and well-written review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that Ellie has dragons living in her closet. Furthermore, I love that they help her cope with her strange environment and new emotions. Sounds like a great lesson for a children's book. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This story sounds amazingly sweet. I love stories that teach children how to effectively express their emotions. I absolutely adore elephants.
Chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Chinenye »

Very lovely book... Teaches how its okay to be afraid, sad, how to control anger and most of of happiness.... It shows how being well behaved is necessary... Its a very good book for children
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review! Sounds like this one has everything a good kids book should, from valuable lessons through to great illustrations. Thanks.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

It sounds as if this book will provide children with many great lessons. What a cute story idea. I'm glad to read that the illustrations are just was wonderful as the storyline. Lovely review.
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

This book is great cause It teaches kids about good lessons. Love the book and great recommendation .

Return to “Children's Books”