Official Review: The Shiny Little Pebble by Pauline Pipa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Shiny Little Pebble by Pauline Pipa

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shiny Little Pebble" by Pauline Pipa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We can never know just how much of an impact we have on the world around us. Every choice we make causes a ripple that expands out to impact the lives of others. The Shiny Little Pebble is a metaphorical story meant to teach young readers that each of us is important because each person impacts the world, even in ways that may not be obvious or noticeable. This book, written by Pauline P. Pipa, follows the ripple effect that is caused by the actual ripple created when a pebble lands in a pond. One small ripple becomes relevant to a frog, a rabbit, a goldfish, and a boy all beautifully illustrated by Julie Leiman Weaver.

The fact that the pebble’s splash into the pond results in an unanticipated sequence of events can be used as a catalyst for many profound discussions between parents and children. The author intended that young readers would understand that each person is important. Each person in this world can have a lasting impact on it, even beyond the scope of his knowledge; we may never know the results of the choices that we make. The story can also be used to teach children that actions have consequences. Furthermore, The Shiny Little Pebble can impart to children the idea that everything in the world is somehow connected. Although the world is a vast place, one thing leads to another in an endless stream of connections that link everyone and everything eventually.

The varied lessons that children can learn from the story of the pebble, and the domino effect it has on the world around it, are lessons I would deem appropriate for children ten years of age and older. However, the sentence structure, simplicity of the story, and difficulty level of the vocabulary are more suitable for children between the ages of four and eight. I also believe the metaphor would be lost on children who don’t analyze a book beyond its surface. For children who still read their storybooks as being completely literal, the metaphor will go unnoticed. The story without the lesson is quite uneventful and likely unable to capture a child’s interest.

Although on the surface the story is not incredibly appealing, the illustrations are rather eye-catching. They appear to be paintings of nature, and they are beautifully done. What I particularly like, that I would define as being very unique, is that the pebble, the frog, and the goldfish are all colored to be almost jewel-like against a very standard depiction of nature featuring lots of tones of brown and green. I enjoyed the effect the jewel-tones had on the illustrations.

Pipa uses The Shiny Little Pebble to impart much wisdom to children, but this wisdom will only be beneficial to children whose parents will take the time to explain all of the valuable lessons that can be learned from the results of the pebble’s small splash into the pond. Without parental guidance, I believe these lessons are too deep for most young kids to notice on their own. As a result of the combination of the simplicity of the story and the depth of the lessons to be learned from it, I recommend this book to parents of four to eight-year-old children who like to read educational stories to their kids. I believe the illustrations and myriad of valuable lessons make The Shiny Little Pebble worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. I am refraining from granting Pipa 4 stars due to the difficulty of pinpointing an appropriate age group that should read this book and two comma-related errors that are present in the roughly twenty sentences that comprise the story.

The Shiny Little Pebble
View: on Bookshelves

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Creative title. I like the positive theme behind it. It has a lot of important lessons for kids. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

In the absence of a cover, it was impossible to tell that this was a children's book. I was pleased to read your review and discover the charming story that lies within. It is a pity the lesson is not more explicit, as it is a valuable one, to be sure. Still, it sounds like a good story for parents to read with their little ones. Thanks for your comments.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel like this is a good lesson, but I'm not sure it would be attention-getting enough for kids. Therefore, I'm glad that the illustrations are so vivid. Still, I am not the age group for this book, and I have no kids. So, I'll probably skip it. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good book that can be used to teach children about life choices. I like the lessons in this book but I find it a challenge of children within the specified age group can't read it on their own. Will recommend it to my nieces and nephews. Great review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Although on the surface the story is not incredibly appealing, the illustrations are rather eye-catching. They appear to be paintings of nature, and they are beautifully done. What I particularly like, that I would define as being very unique, is that the pebble, the frog, and the goldfish are all colored to be almost jewel-like against a very standard depiction of nature featuring lots of tones of brown and green. I enjoyed the effect the jewel-tones had on the illustrations.
In some of the children's books I have reviewed, the illustrations have been lacking, but from your description, these sound lovely! Great review!
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

This is a very complex concept for children to understand. I agree that it should be read to children and explained by their parents. I do think, if the right attention is given, that this could be a very beneficial book for children.
Thanks for the review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oh cool! The butterfly effect explained to kids. That can't be an easy task.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Well, this one makes me jealous that I don't have a child to read it to, but it sounds like something that adults could enjoy just as well. I love that this author took something so small to show kids how we can impact the world in a good way. This is what makes books so wonderful and no other media will take its place ever! The closeness of reading to a child and helping them learn life lessons is invaluable. I loved your review of this. Great job!
Everything happens for a reason...
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A wise person once said that a children's book is not worth reading if it isn't something an adult would read. I agree that the alluded lessons may indeed escape certain kids' age groups. Thus, it's notable that this one has captured your interest despite the areas for improvement you've identified. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Honest review! I think the book deserves a try. I would surely try it someday. It deserves the rating you just provided.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

What a great theme, but too bad it does not shine forth well enough from the story.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 12:11 Well, this one makes me jealous that I don't have a child to read it to, but it sounds like something that adults could enjoy just as well. I love that this author took something so small to show kids how we can impact the world in a good way. This is what makes books so wonderful and no other media will take its place ever! The closeness of reading to a child and helping them learn life lessons is invaluable. I loved your review of this. Great job!
Thank you! I love children's books with subtle lessons. I don't have any children either. Reviewing children's books on OBC has given me a great opportunity to see what is out there and know how high to set my standards when I do have kids to read to :)
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

This is a book best for the young readers who want to learn to strengthen the relationship with their parents. Because the profound discussion between children and parents has been described in this book. thanks for the review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

That is a very realistic point you have mentioned that the metaphor will very likely go uncomprehended by the target audience. However, it is good that the illustrations are there to capture their attention. Thanks for the insightful review!

Return to “Children's Books”