Official Review: Norman by Michelle Olson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Norman by Michelle Olson

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Norman" by Michelle Olson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Norman is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by Michelle Olson. The main character, Norman, is a red button on a coat. He feels useful having the important function of keeping the coat closed; this way the person wearing the coat stays warm. Norman likes feeling needed until one day the thread attaching him gets loose and he falls off the coat. He goes in search of another “job” which leads to some humorous adventures.

I can honestly say I have never read a story before that featured a button. The concept is quite original, although a few of the plot points are a bit subtle for a young child. For example, Norman tries to become a plumber, but his holes (remember, he is a button!) are a hindrance when trying to plug up a leak. If it’s not apparent without an illustration, the water shoots through the button. Norman also attempts to be a photographer, but his vantage point is very low due to his small stature. As a result, the photos he takes are all things low to the ground, such as a sewer cover or fallen leaf. The phrasing in this passage, “being small really limits your viewpoint,” may be too advanced for a child to comprehend.

The overall theme of the book is very relatable. It is better to be who you are, rather than try to be someone else. I liked that the book had a clear problem, with a plot that follows along toward a resolution. This type of traditional plot is helpful for young children who are learning how to understand cause and effect in a story. In addition, a positive message is emphasized, that everyone has their own special abilities.

The illustrations clearly depict the actions described in the text and add depth to the story. The author does a wonderful job of placing facial expressions and limbs on a button against various photographic backgrounds. One of the cutest pictures shows Norman wearing green underwear and a handmade superhero cape with an “N” on the back. I also liked that the previous illustration displayed a sewing machine and fabric as it would help children infer where the cape came from. This type of picture clue can teach a child inference skills which are important in reading comprehension.

The story would be fairly easy for a child to follow. A few of the word choices are too sophisticated for young children - for example, flammable, perspective, limit, and foiling. Still, parents or teachers could explain the meaning of the words which would expand a child’s vocabulary.

I am pleased to award a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. With a likable main character and universal moral, the book provides an entertaining way to build confidence in kids. I would recommend it to children ages 4-9. Children who are older than 9 years old might also enjoy the humorous parts, but would likely be more interested in a longer, more detailed story vs. a short picture book.

Norman
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Awww! Norman sounds wonderful. I love that after he is no longer on the coat, he still wants to find some way to be useful. Thanks so much for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hardeolar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hardeolar.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Hardeolar »

Quiet a funny book. Great review. Will check it out and see if I can read it to my kid.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreelet and Hardeolar for the feedback! I like when a children's book is funny, but also has a positive lesson.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good children's book with likeable characters sounds like a fun book to read. Thanks for the very detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a charming character! I hope Norman found his rightful place in the end.

How come these cute books never appear among my options?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story that features a button? Lol. It sounds like a cute book for kids, nonetheless. The concept of a button that searches for a job sure is original. Clear message, good illustrations, and likable main character makes it a worthy read. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

such a great book for children especially for those who are beginning to grasp life lessons.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a very candid review. I like the theme of the book about believing in oneself and being authentic. Children struggle with self-esteem issues and anything to encourage them to be themselves is helpful. I will be reading this!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone! It's really a cute story. I loved the tie-in with the limitations of being a button since we all have limitations as well as strengths.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a very cool concept! A story about a button... who would've thought that could work?
I loved your review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love the point you made that children should learn how to infer information. I think the concept of this book is so fun. Norman seems like a hoot :)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This is such a unique concept! I love the idea of a button being a main character; that is certainly not seen often. It sounds like a great book for children. Thanks for the review!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've never really grown up, so I still adore children's stories, and this one sounds so amusing and fun! The examples you gave really pulled me in, and I hope that Norman once again found himself on the coat by the tale's end. Thanks for an entrancing read and book introduction.

Return to “Children's Books”