Official Review: The Invisible Realm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Invisible Realm

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Realm" by Evelyn Louise Dunbar-Webb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the worst things that can happen on a vacation is to have an abundance of plans that get ruined by bad weather. Rainstorms can sure put a damper on one’s hopes for adventure. In The Invisible Realm, Hattie and Dacey feel the typical depression that can settle in when this happens. New stepsisters seven-year-old Dacey and eleven-year-old Hattie are already unhappy enough about a vacation sharing a cottage with their new family members. In addition to the poor weather, Hattie’s sour mood is only enhanced when her dad and stepmom tell her she needs to babysit. With nothing better to do, Hattie convinces Dacey to explore the attic of the very old cottage the rain has them trapped in. To the astonishment and great delight of the two girls, they discover a map that appears to lead from the cellar to some nearby caves. Following what they hope will turn out to be a treasure map, the two young ladies stumble into a lush realm of fairytale creatures, a challenging maze, and riddles to be solved. The girls sought an adventure, and they certainly found one.

Evelyn Dunbar Webb’s introduction to A-Maze-ing Mystery Adventures is whimsical with a dash each of The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. Hattie and Dacey encounter a host of fairytale creatures who assist them in their adventure but mostly empower the girls to trust their instincts, work together, and use their knowledge to move forward through the land. The characters are an odd cast, including a fairy godmother, talking bears, a young dragon, and a snazzy cat. They each have a distinct personality and individual peculiarities which make them fun characters for children to read about.

There are two things, in particular, I like about The Invisible Realm aside from its fun, whimsical nature. The relationship between Hattie and Dacey as stepsisters of only a few weeks is quite strained. However, the trials and challenges of their no-longer rainy-day adventure help them to bond. The two develop a true appreciation for each other, and they learn to communicate openly and honestly. It is an excellent example of how siblings should treat one another.

The second thing I really like is that Webb introduces her young readers to an assortment of new things, such as the Underground Railroad, the Lincoln Tunnel, and the War of 1812. Hopefully, the passing mention of these and other places and events will spark a curiosity in readers so they will learn something about history as a result of this fictional adventure. Dacey is quite the reader, and I attribute her knowledge of landmarks and history to her love of books.

Overall, the story is great for children between the ages of eleven and fourteen who like adventures involving fairytale creatures. However, there are a few things I believe can be improved by Webb to make the book more appealing to her young audience. There are a few colored drawings included throughout the book of the girls and some of the characters. They are far from professional and don’t enhance the quality of the book at all. The author would benefit from removing these pictures and leaving only the cover art and the small road signs with colorful birds that mark each new chapter.

One of the drawings I really don’t care for depicts the villain of the story. Actually, this particular drawing is placed in the book twice for no apparent reason. It seems that every fairytale must harbor an evil creature, and The Invisible Realm is no exception. However, the interactions between the stepsisters and this creature come off as anti-climactic. I was particularly underwhelmed by the character himself and the way Dacey and Hattie engaged with him. As a result of the almost forced inclusion of a villain, the poorly done illustrations, and a slow pace that plagues the book, I am removing one star and granting The Invisible Realm 3 out of 4 stars. I do believe the story is worthy of the three stars for its interesting cast of characters, adventurous quality, and valuable lessons about how to treat family.

The Invisible Realm
View: on Bookshelves

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a promising book, albeit with its own flaws. It does seem like an exciting read for young teens. Thanks for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like the sort of book I would have loved as a kid, with challenging family relations and a mysterious house offering a portal to a different realm. These are quite common themes in children's books but not to worry because they're always fun. Thanks for a great review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

This sounds like a fun adventure story. I like that the stepsisters actually grew on each other. It is a nice touch since stepsisters are often written as enemies. Thank you for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The second thing I really like is that Webb introduces her young readers to an assortment of new things, such as the Underground Railroad, the Lincoln Tunnel, and the War of 1812. Hopefully, the passing mention of these and other places and events will spark a curiosity in readers so they will learn something about history as a result of this fictional adventure. Dacey is quite the reader, and I attribute her knowledge of landmarks and history to her love of books.
I love that the author included these historical events in a fairy tale. Your description of the book really piqued my interest. :tiphat:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This story is enchanting. The map leads the girls to the realm of fairytale creatures. This is parallel to the story of Per Pan leading those bunch of kids to Neverland, only by flying. It must be some really intriguing scenario when all these characters are gathered in one place. Correct me if I am wrong, this is how I delineated this, not having read the book yet. Thank you for the interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book reminds me of my childhood a little bit. I would be bored at my grandma's and I would go outside to explore. This book reminds me of Alice in Wonderland too. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
mercy_tessy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mercy_tessy »

Would surely recommend this for my son.. lovely
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The cover of this book is amazing! I find it super disappointing that the illustrations in the book were sub-par. I wonder why the illustrator of the front cover didn't do the rest too?
Or did they, and they were just average in comparison?
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Nevaeh_sent1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nevaeh-sent1.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Nevaeh_sent1 »

Loved your review, I could do with a fairy godmother, a few talking bears and a snazzy cat myself! Unfortunately I'm over 14 - oh well.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 13:50 The cover of this book is amazing! I find it super disappointing that the illustrations in the book were sub-par. I wonder why the illustrator of the front cover didn't do the rest too?
Or did they, and they were just average in comparison?
I thought I read somewhere that she did her own illustrations, but I don't see any information about that now. I didn't even realize she is the author of The Word Collector, which I thought had really cute illustrations. I like the cover of this one. That's what made me think of A Series of Unfortunate Events. That style throughout would have been great.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a wonderful book (even taking into account the comments about the illustrations!). Your description of the girls' discovery is amazing! I especially like the inclusion of the historical references. This book really interests me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds amazing! I love that there's fantasy and that the children find something fun to do on a rainy day. That would, perhaps, spark the reader's sense of adventure on a similar day. Plus, the mention of the Underground Railroad and other such events! Wow!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I was already pulled by the cover and name of it. As I am a teen, so this is exactly my kind of read.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Though the target audience is children, the adventure seems interesting enough for me to give this book a try. However, its slow-paced plot and the poorly done illustrations make me think otherwise. Fascinating review!

Return to “Children's Books”