Official Review: The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B" by bruce p weinberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B: Mr. B’s First Day by Bruce P. Weinberg, illustrated by Gabriela M. Palomo, is a colorful picture book about one eccentric teacher’s first day at school. Instead of the typical subjects, Mr. B likes to teach about creativity and imagination. At first, his young pupils are unsure what to make of Mr. B’s unusual teaching methods; however, the children quickly become enamored and inspired by their new teacher. Mr. B’s First Day is the first installment in a series.

Using rhyme, an unconventional protagonist, inquisitive pupils, and brightly colored pictures, this book provides a simple, fun and inspiring story for young children. In the story, Mr. B uses unorthodox teaching methods to help his new class use their imaginations to escape from the stresses of school. The best part about this book is that the message is relayed quickly and in an exciting manner when the children close their eyes and travel to a beautiful mountain top where they are free of any worries.

The cartoon-like images are bright, colorful, and funny. These images will appeal to young readers as they are intricate enough to depict the story told in the narrative, yet leave room for children to fill in the blanks about some aspects of Mr. B’s tale. Further, the children presented in the images are diverse, with various genders and ethnicities depicted, making this a relatable book for all. Lastly, the ethereal nature of the images works to conjure up feelings of imagination and creativity, which correspond with the author’s intended message.

Overall, this is an engaging book to read aloud. The narrative contains a clear rhyme pattern and is mostly synchronistic. However, there were some instances where the meter was slightly awkward when read aloud. These instances were minor and did not detract from the fun, lively spirit of the narrative. The delightful rhymes and clearly conveyed story made up for the minor issues with the meter.

The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B: Mr. B's First Day was a pleasant surprise. Though basic, the narrative was rhythmic and enjoyable to read aloud, and the imaginative themes were refreshing. This children’s book easily earns 4 out of 4 stars. This picture book would be most appropriate for young readers aged four to seven. This could be a fun book for adults to read to children that are just starting school. Further, there are enough challenging words to make this book a good learning tool. Words like “serene” and “cajoled” are sure to expand a child’s vocabulary and spark conversation about their meaning. This book would also be a great classroom tool for grade-school teachers, as the focus on relaxation techniques and alternative teaching methods could help create a comfortable and stress-free environment for pupils.

The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Just the word "feats"in the title should advance a child's vocabulary. Mr. B looks like one fun character. Hopefully the author will be more conscientious about the flow of the rhymes in the next installments. Lovely review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I wish I had teachers like that. I love the cover of the book. I'm glad that there are great pictures in it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The cover of the book is too catchy. I'm sure children will love it a lot. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the cover, so if the drawings are an indication of the cover, I'm all for that. The story sounds interesting enough to hold a child's attention. All in all, it looks like a fun book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kandscreeley, you took the words right out of my mouth. The cover artwork has such a fun, whimsical feel that it made me more interested in reading the book. I like the premise of a teacher trying out-of-the-box methods to let the kids unwind from the stress of school. Very creative plot!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a well-written review of this fabulous children's book that introduces children to the eccentric teacher Mr B. I think we all meet people that are a bit different and if we take our time to get to know them, we find that there is a lot of goodness in them. Your well thought out and insightful review makes me want to read this book and recommend it to friends with young children. Well done! the day, but also does ordinary things that children do every day as well!
Chibae jos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chibae jos »

The cover of the book is attractive to the reader..
Tpro50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tpro50 »

I loved reading “The Fabulous Feats of Mr. B” and I also enjoyed this review. I was interested in the cover because it caught my attention immediately. Mr. B was tipping his hat as if to tell young readers “Hello, come on in and join the fun.” I enjoyed the rhyming narrative yet found a few that did not flow as well as the rest. This book is full of color and will delight young children in many ways. The comparison of people being as small as ants and even the children becoming owls fueled the imagination. This is a sweet yet simple book and I recommend it for ages 4-6.

Return to “Children's Books”