Official Review: Weavy Things by Barbara Ann Leonard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Weavy Things by Barbara Ann Leonard

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weavy Things" by Barbara Ann Leonard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Mom and Dad came home from the hospital with three-year-old Tracy's new baby brother, Mark, she couldn't wait to hold him--just as she'd practiced with her baby doll. She was ready to be the perfect helper and make Mom proud, but when she asked to hold the baby, Mom said he wasn't ready yet. Tracy was so disappointed. Since then, she felt sad and missed the way she and Mommy used to spend time together. Now, Tracy spent more and more time with Daddy because Mommy was always helping Mark exercise or taking him to therapy. Like the new word Daddy had taught her about football, Mark's "in-ter-fer-ence," was keeping Mommy away from her, and she wished he would go away, instead.

Weavy Things by Barbara Ann Leonard is a large print chapter book that introduces the young reader to the concept of finding creative solutions for families challenged by caring for a child with special needs. Written for elementary readers, but applicable to the whole family, the story addresses issues such as sibling rivalry, parental time constraints, practical work-life alternatives, faith, and prayer. Through the easy-to-understand plot, and using Tracy’s camp weaving project as an illustration, the reader is provided with a positive example of how lovingly working together can weave the best path for the whole family. The story is told from the perspectives of both Tracy and her mother, and the author also presents the themes of faith and prayer as steps to resolving conflicts.

What I like most about this book was that in addition to illustrating how three-year-old Tracy is feeling, the author also gives young readers a glimpse into the mother's frame of mind. Her struggle to balance the challenges of caring for a son with special needs while not neglecting her daughter's feelings and juggling a demanding work schedule is realistic and presented in a way that children can understand. As the story continues and her mother begins to work from home, Tracy's relationship with her brother improves, and readers are provided with an example of seeking creative solutions to solve conflicts at home and at work. I also appreciated that part of the solution began with Mom's prayers which may be encouraging to young readers.

However, I did notice a few areas that might prove confusing for some young readers. First, in the second chapter, Tracy shifts from referring to her mother as Mommy, instead of Mom, as she did in the first chapter. I know some kids switch back and forth between maternal names, but I thought it more likely that Mom would be adopted as Tracy got older, instead of the other way around. Regarding the timeline, in the first chapter, Mark is a newborn. The second chapter mentions that two years have passed, and then three pages later, Mark has already had his third birthday. As an adult, I found myself thumbing back through pages to make sure I'd read correctly. Even so, these were minor distractions which didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the book.

I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to the suggested elementary reader audience as well as parents, grandparents, and teachers of young children. It will also appeal to families who have children with any type of special needs.

Weavy Things
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree with the mom thing. My sister's three-year-old called her 'Mom' the other day and my sister was shocked. When did it go from Mommy to Mom? This is an interesting premise. Not sure a young child would quite understand it though.

Awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
hannahhmariee_xx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hannahhmariee_xx »

I thought this was good, but yeh i so agree the the mommy and mom, may come across confusing but overall a great book :) x
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 13:53 I agree with the mom thing. My sister's three-year-old called her 'Mom' the other day and my sister was shocked. When did it go from Mommy to Mom? This is an interesting premise. Not sure a young child would quite understand it though.

Awesome review :)
Thank you, Bianka. :tiphat:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What am amazing topic, especially for a young audience. Being the oldest child can definitely result in some confusion when the first sibling comes alone, especially a child who will require more attention that the average sibling. Wonderful review. I absolutely love that the author also includes the mom's perspective.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This sounds like a great book. I would be encouraged to share this book with my kids. Awesome review!
:tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

hannahhmariee_xx wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 14:33 I thought this was good, but yeh i so agree the the mommy and mom, may come across confusing but overall a great book :) x
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 20:48 What am amazing topic, especially for a young audience. Being the oldest child can definitely result in some confusion when the first sibling comes alone, especially a child who will require more attention that the average sibling. Wonderful review. I absolutely love that the author also includes the mom's perspective.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 23:54 This sounds like a great book. I would be encouraged to share this book with my kids. Awesome review!
Thanks for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That's a great premise for a book. That happens many, many times and kids can have a hard time understanding what's going on. Glad this one was well done. Kudos to the author for tackling the subject.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

This is a big help to families with a member whos os differently abled. And it also applies to families on handling sibling rivalries.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 08:41 Wow! That's a great premise for a book. That happens many, many times and kids can have a hard time understanding what's going on. Glad this one was well done. Kudos to the author for tackling the subject.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

:mrgreen:
charmperit wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 03:15 This is a big help to families with a member whos os differently abled. And it also applies to families on handling sibling rivalries.
Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Children's Books”