Official Review: The Enchantment of Jack Horner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Enchantment of Jack Horner

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Enchantment of Jack Horner" by Christopher R. Doyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mother Goose is a British fictional character who purportedly wrote a series of children’s tales, and nursery rhymes in the 17th century. The Enchantment of Jack Horner by Christopher R. Doyle is a book which tells the story of Jack Horner, a boy whose late grandmother was Mother Goose. When Mother Goose’s rhymes are spoken aloud by Jack, magical things happen to the people around him. When he is six, his mother asks him to watch over his baby brother who was being extremely fussy that day. Using his magical powers, Jack sends his baby brother’s cradle into a tree so that the blackbirds could sing him to sleep. Forgetting about his brother, Jack goes off to play and absentmindedly begins to sing a particular nursery rhyme, ‘Rockabye Baby’. As most of us know, that rhyme ends in a disastrous way. True to the rhyme, his baby brother’s cradle falls from the tree and little Tommy dies. Distraught, Jack vows never to sing his magical rhymes again.

Time passes and Jack’s mother is expecting another baby. Jack also meets a little girl, Polly, who knows all of Mother Goose’s rhymes, including the one about herself. Jack soon learns that she and her brother have a difficult life at home. He realizes that his magic could help a lot of people like Polly, and he knows he must make a decision to start using magic again. Moreover, terrifying family secrets are revealed to Jack, and he realizes Polly and her family are more closely linked to him than he expected.

This book brought up wonderful memories of sitting on my grandpa’s knee while he read a giant book of Mother Goose’s nursery rhymes and stories to me. The premise of Doyle’s story is unique, but the rhymes remained the same. I really appreciated how he connected these old rhymes into a new, magical tale for children.

The story captivated me from the first page and continued on a rollercoaster of twists and turns that evoked a series of emotions including horror, sadness, anger, excitement, and happiness. I could not wait to reach the end. The storyline became deeper as it neared the conclusion. It dived into the past and connected the past and present. A few things also alluded to spirituality, the impermanence of death, and reincarnation.

Doyle’s excellent characterization was one of the best features of his book. Each character had distinct attributes which either made them hated or liked. For example, the villain’s character was extremely well written. She was mysterious enough not to be suspected in the very beginning, but later on, she was both mean and kind which hid her true nature. Eventually, her actions became gruesome and life-threatening. Her horrible past was also revealed. My hate for her while reading the story reached a new level, but the depth at which her character was written was admirable. On the contrary, Jack’s mother was the epitome of angelic motherhood. Although she gave him lots of chores to do during her second pregnancy, she always thanked him. Moreover, she never blamed Jack for accidentally killing his brother. She understood that his magic was a gift and not a curse. I really liked her character.

Another great thing about this book was that it contained several lessons for children. Numerous times Jack’s helpful nature was described, such as his readiness to complete chores and take care of his pregnant mother while his dad was away. His reverence for life was another lesson. This was illustrated when he used magic to resurrect a baby mouse which had died in a mousetrap. His courage to stand up for himself in the face of bullies was another meaningful lesson.

If not for a few errors, I would have given this book a full rating. 3 out of 4 stars is the rating I am awarding it. Children aged 9 and above will enjoy this book. It is also a great story to read to children at bedtime. I think parents will enjoy it just as much as their little ones.

The Enchantment of Jack Horner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I like this recent trend of revisiting, rewriting, and retelling stories from childhood, so this book immediately caught my attention. Your great review settled it - I want to read this. I'm pleased to hear that the characters are well written and the tradition of the "moral of the story" is admirably upheld. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

This certainly something I would read even as an adult . Your review is well-written, I've learn lots from you , thank you
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Forget children, this sounds like a fun story for me! I haven't heard of Mother Goose and her rhymes told in quite this way before. Very enchanting indeed! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 08:00 I like this recent trend of revisiting, rewriting, and retelling stories from childhood, so this book immediately caught my attention. Your great review settled it - I want to read this. I'm pleased to hear that the characters are well written and the tradition of the "moral of the story" is admirably upheld. Thanks!
You're welcome! I hope you read this one soon, it was an excellent story!
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I agree when you said that parents will enjoy this book as much as their children. A story connecting to well-known Mother Goose will interest the young hearts of many.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame about all of the errors, but I love the plot; I adore stories based on other well-known tales or entities, so this one seems right up my alley, and with a wonderful story of its own to tell. Thanks so much for the introduction!

Return to “Children's Books”