Official Review: Let's Get Sandy at the Beach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Let's Get Sandy at the Beach

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let's Get Sandy at the Beach" by Grampa Farkas.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grab your swimsuits, towels, sunscreen, and hats because Sassy and Taffy are heading to the beach in Let’s Get Sandy at the Beach. Sassy and Taffy aren’t actually going to need any of those things for their trip to the beach since they are cockapoos. However, their owners, Grandma and Grampa Farkas, are packing those things up along with the dogs and their grandchild for a day of fun in the sun. This children’s story, written by Grampa Farkas himself, is told through the eyes of Sassy who has no idea what the beach is, but she is happy to go on any adventure instigated by Grampa Farkas. The trip to the beach is Sassy and Taffy’s fifth adventure shared by Grampa Farkas in his Sassy and Taffy Adventure series.

A story told from the point of view of a dog completely out of her element sounds like a fun tale for children. However, your time would be better spent actually going to the beach than reading this book. I make that recommendation for many reasons. The first issue that I have with the book is that Sassy’s canine status is not apparent. When the book begins, there is no way to know that the story is being told from a dog’s perspective. It can be deduced from the pictures and the use of the term “pack” to describe the group of people, but to very young children, I don’t think this would be obvious enough.

My second point of discontent with Let’s Get Sandy at the Beach is the actual story of the journey to the beach. A trip to the beach from the perspective of a dog is very similar to that of a child. A child would not be familiar with sand or the idea that water doesn’t stand still and is forever washing up on the beach. This may be cute to watch a child or dog discover, but to read about it is quite uninteresting. Sassy doesn’t understand what words like ‘beach,’ ‘California,’ or ‘beach cart’ mean. These words are emphasized with the utilization of italicized font. Every time Grampa Farkas wants to indicate to the reader that Sassy doesn’t know the exact meaning of a word, he has it italicized. Again, this is not something I think children would catch on to. It was also quite distracting.

Let’s Get Sandy at the Beach is truly a ‘picture’ book. By that I mean, Grampa Farkas didn’t use an illustrator to create images for his book, he used his own family pictures. The one on the front cover is of poor quality, and there is a second one where Sassy and Taffy were clearly cut from another picture and pasted onto a picture of Grandma and Grampa Farkas' grandchild. Other than the fact that the pictures are poorly done, who wants to read a book where someone else’s family pictures are included? I don’t believe Grampa and Grandma Farkas’ beach pictures would be appealing to a child who does not know them.

Sadly, this book is not worthy of more than 1 out of 4 stars. There is nothing I particularly enjoyed about it; the pictures are poorly done, the story is uninteresting, and the book was obviously not professionally edited. A child under the age of five who enjoys stories told from the perspective of a pet could find some entertainment in Sassy and Taffy’s journey to the beach, but I wouldn’t recommend it; I suggest parents find a book for their children that has a more professional quality.

Let's Get Sandy at the Beach
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I chuckled at the thought of cutting a picture up and pasting it onto another. That is a bit sloppy.
Loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

children's book though i think would be complicated to them. as an adult and according to this review, i may find this book boring and so i am not going to consider it.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

I almost feel sorry for Grampa Farkas but clearly some more effort is needed from him. Thanks for your honest and well thought out review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this one didn't meet your expectations. It does sound a bit uninteresting and some of what you describe would definitely just go over a child's head. It's not really in my age range. Since it just doesn't sound appealing, I'm definitely not going to pick it up. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really love children's books, so I am always sad to see one as poorly executed as the one you described. I appreciate your honest review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like children's books, but this seems very bland. I've always wanted to read a book told in animals view point but, this clearly isn't it. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I wonder if it would be more clear if the previous four books had been read? Then the kids would understand what was going on. Especially something like "the pack", which threw me off in the sample I just looked at. Sounded like the backpack was full of sand and ready for a nap...?! Oh, DOG pack. Of only two.
But yes, it's possible that this would all work if a child has already become 'friends' with the two pups in the previous books of the series.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Well that's too bad. I've read a few books like this and they turned out to be quite funny and enjoyable to read, it is recommended even for adults. So this is just a waste of paper and time, it is really too bad
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 17:34 I wonder if it would be more clear if the previous four books had been read? Then the kids would understand what was going on. Especially something like "the pack", which threw me off in the sample I just looked at. Sounded like the backpack was full of sand and ready for a nap...?! Oh, DOG pack. Of only two.
But yes, it's possible that this would all work if a child has already become 'friends' with the two pups in the previous books of the series.
I agree that might help. I figured I would take it from the perspective of it being a stand-alone though, since the storyline didn't at all depend on the previous four books.

I had to read the first page a couple of times to catch on to what was going on and the fact that it was being told from the dog's perspective.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That's a shame about the book. The author should of got some help with it. He had a creative idea, with some work, maybe the book would have been better. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It breaks my heart to know that the piece wasn't what you've expected. I also wonder if reading the initial four books in the series first could help the reader warm up to this one. Thank you for your honest review, nonetheless.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It's always disappointing when a book doesn't live up to your hopes. Good job with the review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting children's book. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is a shame when an idea for a book does not reach its potential due to poor editing, average writing and shoddy illustrations/photos. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Children's Books”