Featured Official Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Featured Official Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness?

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dynomike: What's Heartfulness?" by Frankie B. Rabbit.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are lots of children's books in the world. Some are playful, some are cute, some offer important lessons to children, and some are just for fun, but my favorite children's stories are all relatable. Giving a child something they can understand and relate to is key, far more than any of the previously listed things. Especially when it comes to children's books I've never heard of and don't grab out of a book store, it seems like the majority either have super cute art or they have good writing, but very few do both. But to combine both great art and writing along with playfulness, relatability and teaching a good lesson is the rarest of all, and that's exactly what Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit does.

Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? is all about Dynomike and his friends. It's a gorgeous day and they decide to ride their bikes, but when they go to Jack Brussels' house to pick him up he says he can't go out because his mom is sick. He's incredibly sad, both that his mom is so sick and that his friends will be having fun without him, but also doesn't want them to give up a day of fun just because of him.

After a few silly suggestions by his friends Spunky and Winky to help make Jack Brussels' day better, Dynomike comes up with an idea: heartfulness! Winky has no idea what that is, so Dynomike explains it to her (and secretly to the reader as well): it's all about being kind, to yourself and to others, so he and his friends come up with loving gifts to give Jack Brussels' mom rather than going out and playing on their own.

The art in Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? is super cute, sharp, and colorful. I love the little touches, like Jack Brussels' mom peeking as the children leave their gifts behind for her, and the emotions are all incredibly clear, from the sadness on Jack Brussels's face to the joy and love on Dynomike's and his friends' faces. The text always pops regardless of the background and I never once had an issue figuring out what was being said. Don Suartos, the illustrator, did an excellent job on every page of the book.

There are a total of eight books in the Dynomike series, and this is far from the first, but I never felt like I was missing anything. The characters are smoothly introduced and there are no events referred to outside of the book. I also really enjoyed that even though a lot of the book rhymes, it uses near rhymes and skips rhyming altogether when the author would otherwise have to force a rhyme. Forced rhymes are one of the things that bring an otherwise great book down for me, and I didn't see a single one in this book.

To seal the perfect 4 out of 4 star review score I'm giving it, I absolutely loved the lesson in the book and there's terrific potential for some fun reading it aloud. Little is more important to me than teaching others to be kind to others, and this really shows the impact that kindness can have. Not only that, it shows that it can even be fun to show someone you care about them! And with the art showing such clear emotion it's easy to figure out how to read the book aloud to children with some passion and enthusiasm. In fact, I found nothing at all to improve on! If you have children who enjoy learning about friendship and heartfulness (being kind) or who love animals (Dynomike's friends are all various types of animals), this is a very easy book to recommend.

Dynomike: What's Heartfulness?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

the writer is correct from now I will not allow my kids to read any type of book
Melissa46
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Melissa46 »

I think this is a great Book, but like other reviews I would not
just let my kids, read just any book it has to mean something,
to them. but reading is very important that's is how you learn.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great children's series. I love that the artwork is so vivid and well-done. Alas I have no children, so I guess I won't be picking this one up. I do appreciate your review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ekwe1

Post by ekwe1 »

my children will love to read this book written by fankie b rabbit because it teaches a lot of things
ekwe1

Post by ekwe1 »

this book is nice because it will give any child that read it sound Wisdom
dailey2820
Favorite Author: Freida McFadden
Currently Reading: We Thought We Knew You
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dailey2820.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 46859

Post by dailey2820 »

I enjoyed reading your review. I just may pick this one to read next to my children.
Temidayo Omowunmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temidayo-omowunmi.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Temidayo Omowunmi »

A book with meaning is what I love reading to my kids. Thanks for the great review.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

The world can always do with more kindness so I think this book is one I would certainly consider for my grandkids (when I get some :P ). Beautiful review, thank you.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your excellent review! I have never heard of this book series. I am a school counselor, and I am always looking for good teaching books for our elementary library. I am going to look into these.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I could tell from the cover that it had to have cute pictures. I love the look of the characters. What a sweet storyline. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The fact that a book has been marked as children's does not authentically makes it obvious as fit for kids, thanks for noting this in such a great review.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

One common factor with all book lovers and this is non disputable, is that we all started reading at a tender age. So any children's book written with a child in mind should be highly appreciated because it helps add another brilliant mind to the flock. :) I liked your review it was very precise.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Dynomike and Jack Brussels? The names alone make me laugh. This sounds like a great book for our youngsters to read - both enjoyable and informative at the same time. Lovely review - well done!
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I do plan to have kids with my wife soon, so I love reading reviews about children's books to see which ones would be good to keep bookmarked. I like the cute ones that rhyme and are simple for the younger ages. I do not know how I feel about this book just yet I would have to read some of it. Thanks for the in-depth review.

Return to “Children's Books”