Official Review: The Freedom Stone by Judi Howe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Freedom Stone by Judi Howe

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Freedom Stone" by Judi Howe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what it was like to be a slave in the 1800’s? Judi Howe’s book, The Freedom Stone, is a fictional children’s novel which details the lives of Moses and his sister Addie, two Negro slaves who live on the Porter’s tobacco plantation in Virginia. Life is unfair and challenging on the plantation. Slaves are forced to work without pay and are whipped for minor grievances. Despite this, the siblings experience kind gestures from their master’s wife and children. Additionally, Moses finds a special stone in the fields, which he decides to keep. It becomes a symbol of freedom later on when the siblings and their mother are smuggled out of the plantation. They embark on the journey of a lifetime on the Underground Railroad, from Virginia to Canada - the only way from slavery to freedom.

Although this was specially written for middle schoolers, I really enjoyed this book. It had all of the elements a good book should have – excellent characterization, riveting adventure, heartwarming moments, and a rewarding ending. It also took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. I felt angry at the cold-hearted treatment of the field slaves, sad when there was a loss, and I felt happy when the characters found themselves on a journey to freedom.

The author did a great job to highlight the life of slaves. I learned that different types of slaves faced different challenges, such as field slaves and house slaves. Slaves born into slavery such as Moses and Addie did not endure the difficult voyage aboard the slave ships like their mother did. Moreover, the author included important aspects of the slaves’ culture on the plantations. Some of these were very eye-opening. For instance, each slave received a specific ration of food for the week. This included meager amounts of cornmeal, potatoes, and bacon. Their Christmas traditions were also mentioned. One example was the length of time the Yule log burned for, which signified how many days off the slaves would have around Christmas time. Many of the slaves also sang songs and hymns which actually represented other things. For instance, the word ‘heaven’ in a hymn could mean ‘home’ to a slave. ‘Home’ actually referred to freedom. I appreciated these small details because it gave me a real insight into the lives of the slaves.

There was one recurring message in the book which was this - Bravery is doing what you have to do even when you are terribly afraid. This was the lesson that Moses and Addie kept reflecting on while they traveled as fugitives to Canada to escape slavery. I think that this is a good message for children since it can be applied to many of the challenges they may face.

Pictures were also included at the beginning of each chapter. These mostly illustrated aspects of slavery, and snippets from the children’s journey, but pictures of important historical figures were also present. Two examples were Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass. These persons historically played big roles in liberating black slaves. I liked this educational aspect of the book.

I noticed a handful of errors in this book. These were mainly missing quotation marks at the end of a dialogue. In some cases, both single and double quotation marks were used without any spaces between them. Multiple quotation marks were unnecessary. This was the only flaw in the book. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well-written, it gave a realistic account of slavery from children’s perspectives, and it was very educational. Children aged 11 and up will certainly enjoy reading this story.

The Freedom Stone
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is a lovely review on a book that sounds like it has all the good attributes a children's book should have - well-written, believable, authentic and inspiring.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

"Bravery is doing what you have to do even when you are terribly afraid. "
Very true and powerful statement right here.
These types of books usually get me in my feelings but I can never stay away. :cry: Thank you for the amazing review!
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

This sounds like a good children's book with lots of moral lessons to learn.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thank you for the review. My son will be starting this time frame in history soon. I may direct him to this book. It sounds educational, yet fun to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This really sounds like a wonderful novel. I think we could all learn a bit more about the life of a slave. It's something I would enjoy learning about, so I might have to read it even if it isn't for my age! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Ever_Reading wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 00:54 "Bravery is doing what you have to do even when you are terribly afraid. "
Very true and powerful statement right here.
These types of books usually get me in my feelings but I can never stay away. :cry: Thank you for the amazing review!
Same here! And you're welcome. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my review :)
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

TJanowski23 wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 08:05 Thank you for the review. My son will be starting this time frame in history soon. I may direct him to this book. It sounds educational, yet fun to read.
Excellent! I think he will find it very interesting and will learn a lot from it.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have a certificate in children's/adolescent culture and literature so I am always reading books aimed at younger kids. As a teacher, I seek out diverse books. I think this one will be a good one to add to my list for future courses.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Children's Books”