Official Review: Bucabella by David Colasante

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Bucabella by David Colasante

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bucabella" by David Colasante.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bucabella by David Colasante is a children’s fiction/fantasy book of a story about a young girl who travels a long distance with her bird friends on a mission to help the poor and needy in Brazil.

Bucabella is the name of a beautiful and magical island created by the mythical god Zeus. The people on this island experience peace and harmony, untouched by wars, arguments, and crime. The Buchagolata family has been the island’s protector for many thousands of years. Mr. Buchagolata’s daughter, Valentina is called Miss B. She is encouraged to travel throughout the world by her father. Miss B wants to bring joy and happiness to children of the world. She plans a very long trip to Brazil. Her way to travel will be by flying on a seagull, Winston. You might ask how is that possible? That is part of the magic of the people of Bucabella. Other seagulls, Mario and Martin accompany Miss B and Winston to help with direction, flight, and protection. These two birds like to play pranks and do so during the long flight.

Miss B and the seagulls met and became close friends with many other birds along the way. One can learn more about birds through the seagulls: Dante, Nova, and Ashley. You will need to read the book to find out what actually happened when they all finally arrived in Brazil. How did Miss B help the children in Brazil?

During the flight, one of the shelters that Miss B and the birds found was called an “atoll.” I liked best how an atoll was described and explained in the book. This was very educational and interesting. I liked the big and colorful comic book style of illustrations by Brandon Palas spread throughout the book and on the book’s cover.

I did not like the mundane details of Miss B and the birds flying, finding a place to rest, setting up camp, eating, sleeping, and then continue flying day in and day out. I found that I wanted them to get to their destination where I hoped something would happen. I least liked that the author did not take full advantage of describing the places and countries that Miss B and the birds went to on their way to Brazil. A few animals and many different kinds of birds were mentioned along the way. I would have loved to learn about famous landmarks or customs of the people in different countries. I think a map would have been helpful to see the trip’s route, as the author mentioned specific cities in New Guinea, Australia, and Brazil.

Though the book has so much potential on being a very creative way to teach about other countries and people, it falls short of doing that. Therefore, I rate Bucabella 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a 2 out of 4 stars because the book was written well, and the birds were characterized well. It also has a bit of fantasy and mystery to the story making it worth a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would have gladly given the book a 4 out of 4 stars if it had included more interesting things during the long trip to Brazil.

Young children, who are interested in birds and stories of flying, may like this book the most. Parents may also like this book to read to their young children. Older children and adults may like this book the least because it lacks a lot of human interaction and details of the countries visited by Miss B and the birds.

Bucabella
View: on Bookshelves

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think children would be very interested in learning about various countries and landmarks. That seems like a great way to take advantage of the travel time while getting to Brazil. Excellent suggestion. This book sounds like it needs that extra oomph!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I liked your review but somehow this book doesn’t seem to do much for me. This is a pity because I am generally a big fan of well-written chidren’s books. I understand when you say it fell short of it’s potential and so I’ll definitely steer clear of it. Many thanks.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like the flying on birds part. It is creative. It would of been nice if children were able to learn more about the world around them. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

A very creative way to tell a children story. I live the fact that, its not just a story but there are certain lessons to be learnt especially about birds.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A book for children with a little bit of fantasy and myth. Its lack of human interactiveness might make it less interesting for some people. I think I'll be avoiding this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

It's sad that the author didn't take the opportunity to introduce children to different countries and animals, but I do think this is a book that will capture the attention of many children, and also send out a good message for them to learn.
Thank you for the review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 16:03 I think children would be very interested in learning about various countries and landmarks. That seems like a great way to take advantage of the travel time while getting to Brazil. Excellent suggestion. This book sounds like it needs that extra oomph!
My sentiments exactly. Great illustrations, though, and a great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this book has a lot of potential. I, too, wish the author had mentioned more about the countries they visited. Children would enjoy learning about that. Still, it sounds like a worthwhile book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

There are various 'ingredients' needed to cook up an interesting children's book and as per the review this one falls short of all the essential stuff one of them being depth. I do not see myself recommending this to anyone, anyway thanks for the review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I guess it is going to be a great read for children. Yeah I agree with you about missing potential but it's good anyway.

Return to “Children's Books”