Official Review: To Fall From Bliss by Christopher Card

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Supergirl1
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: To Fall From Bliss by Christopher Card
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: To Fall From Bliss by Christopher Card

Post by Supergirl1 » 29 Oct 2018, 02:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Fall From Bliss" by Christopher Card.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Fall From Bliss is a short fictional story about the wonders of the universe. Also known as Oblivion, Bliss is a beautiful planet home to myriads of happy angels created in pairs. Bella and Bill are one such pair. Bella, however, is not oblivious. She wonders why the planet Urantia, or Earth, is so dark and full of worries. Realizing she would never find answers on Bliss she decides to go to Urantia. While trying to stop her from leaving, Bill ends up following her to this dark planet. After their arrival, events on Urantia reveal that this path was indeed their fate, Bella and Bill are the chosen ones to defeat Daarcum, the vile agent of darkness. To do this, they also have to complete what is called the Five Stages of the Sages. Will these two little cherubs prove equal to the task?

One thing I like about this book is the plot. The author, Christopher Card, gives a good analysis of the root of most problems on earth and how these problems can be solved. He also includes some characters I found amusing for the roles they represent. An example is Mr. Edison, the sage in custody of the Accolade of Light. I know of a Thomas Edison who invented the light bulb.

Another outstanding point is the descriptive style used in this book. These detailed descriptions awaken the imagination, allowing the reader to visualize the colorful scenes in the book, from the different planets and outer space to tornadoes and black holes. I felt like I was with Bella and Bill on their perilous journey.

A sore point for me, however, is that although this story has a great plot and vivid descriptions, it is rather hurried. I found it difficult to understand how a naïve cherub full of questions suddenly has in-depth, technical answers within minutes of gazing at mundane objects like a bubbling pot of molten metal. The sages were more like puzzles that needed to be solved. In many places, this book felt more like a textbook disguised as a novel to teach young adults who would otherwise never pick up a textbook. I also think the ending was abrupt.

In addition, I found several grammar errors here and there. For these reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I believe this story can be rewritten to appeal to a wider audience, but right now it’s more like a book for people who are totally immersed in science. I did not really enjoy this book, but if you love science and are fascinated by physics, you might want to give it a go.

To Fall From Bliss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Crater's Edge by Lucy Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 03 Feb 2019, 12:48

A textbook disguised as fiction? I avoid such books at all costs. I prefer it when the author weaves facts in seamlessly into the storyline. It's awesome that Card wants to educate kids about the universe, though. I hope he puts a little more work in to make this book better. Thanks for the review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 03 Feb 2019, 13:54

I've read enough textbooks to last a few lifetimes. I will pass but appreciate that you took the time to finish the book and provide a review.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 03 Feb 2019, 16:18

I share other posters' reactions to this review with not being so interested in a science book dressed up as fiction. ;) However, I wonder if this might be a way to get my scientist husband to pick up a fiction book (or if he would just critique the science to death!). Thanks for the honest review. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 03 Feb 2019, 18:47

I wonder if the author thought this would be an ingenious way of inserting some educative points into the story. It would be disappointing, as reflected in your rating, to feel like you are reading a textbook and not a novel. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis of this book.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 03 Feb 2019, 23:52

I think the plot has potential and I agree with your negative comments about this book.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Feb 2019, 08:20

The plot definitely sounds quite intriguing. It sounds like it definitely has potential, but the author needs to work on it a bit more. I definitely dislike abrupt endings, and this sounds like it isn't quite fully developed. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass for now.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Kawemi254
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawemi254.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Kawemi254 » 04 Feb 2019, 09:00

I was confused at first since i can't quite grab the concept of the book. The review describes a very tiny bit of the story . I wouldn't want to read the book.

Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde » 04 Feb 2019, 13:17

The story has some great plus point, but for me, the negatives outweigh the positive. I love science but not particularly physics and I think I would have an issue with a rushed book that doesn't take me on a journey to find all the answers to my/ the character's questions and dilemmas.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”