Official Review: My Daddy Loves Me by Shanalee Sharboneau

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: My Daddy Loves Me by Shanalee Sharboneau

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Daddy Loves Me" by Shanalee Sharboneau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The relationship between a father and his son is a very special one. The children’s book My Daddy Loves Me, I’m His Little Boy captures the true essence of a loving father/son relationship. Fascinating illustrations by Israel Dilean leap from page to page, detailing exciting adventures and heart-warming moments between a boy and his dad. Shanalee Sharboneau, the author, narrates the words of this young boy who feels loved and cared for by his father.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The most captivating thing about it was not the words, but the illustrations. Each page was filled from top to bottom with a colorful scene. In each scene, a father and his son embarked on a fun activity such as spearfishing, hunting, and playing a pretend pirate game. These colorful drawings were a feast for the eyes. They were complex scenes which depicted a wide foreground and background teeming with animals and objects. For a child, these pictures will definitely stimulate their imagination. A whole side story can be developed from the pictures alone. If the book is read to a child, the illustrations will surely become an excellent conversation piece. I think this was an excellent feature of the book.

Another positive feature of the book was the large font size. This made it easy to read. Additionally, I liked that the story contained simple vocabulary. Due to this, children of different ages will be able to read this book, even early readers. In addition to this, there were zero grammatical errors which meant that it was professionally edited.

Although the targeted audience for this book is children, it also included parenting reminders. I appreciated this. For example, the sentence, “My daddy praises me,” was a great reminder to parents that children should be complimented and praised when they behave well. Another line was, “My daddy folds my hands in prayer”. This may remind parents to teach their children how to pray. There was also a line that reminded fathers to show affection to their son. I think that if a father reads this book to his little boy, he will be reminded of the little things that he can do to enhance his relationship with his son.

This delightful storybook fulfilled all of the requirements needed to captivate young readers. Therefore, I am awarding it 4 out of 4 stars for its imaginative illustrations, easy-to-read words, error-free narration, and the subtle parenting reminders. Every father who plays an active role in his son’s life should get this book for his child. The only categories of children which I would not recommend it to are orphans and boys who are solely raised by women. The reason for this is because these children may feel resentful upon reading this book since they do not have a father in their lives. Girls may not like reading this book either since it exclusively focuses on fathers and sons. However, Shanalee Sharboneau has written another book especially for fathers and daughters as part of her My Family Loves Me series.

My Daddy Loves Me
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

This is an excellent work from the author. Every kid fancies well illustrated books because they can easily identify with the story. The vocabulary and proper editing were good for the kids. Thanks for a nice review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm intrigued because the book contains subtle messages for parents. It was thoughtful of you to mention that the book might sadden orphans. The book could also encourage guardians who take care of children to show them, sufficient love.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good book for kids and parents. It contains lessons for parents and kids too. I also don't like the fact it's just about fathers and sons but I'm sure that won't detract from passing necessary information to readers. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 12:54 I'm intrigued because the book contains subtle messages for parents. It was thoughtful of you to mention that the book might sadden orphans. The book could also encourage guardians who take care of children to show them, sufficient love.
Thank you :)
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

T_stone wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 14:21 A good book for kids and parents. It contains lessons for parents and kids too. I also don't like the fact it's just about fathers and sons but I'm sure that won't detract from passing necessary information to readers. Thanks for the review.
Although this one is just for fathers and sons, the author wrote several other books specifically for moms and daughters, moms and sons and fathers and daughters :) So, there's a book for everyone.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is indeed a great book for fathers and kids to. Not only is it relevant to boys but i think girls to will enjoy it. I loved the review too.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems to be a beautifully illustrated telling of a father-son relationship which will enthrall its intended audience. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This genre obviously isn't really for my age group, and I don't have children. However, it seems like a very cute story. I love that the illustrations are full page. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a charming book. That's great that there is a lot of detail in the illustrations. I'm glad that the book gives out special messages to the parents. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:21 It sounds like a charming book. That's great that there is a lot of detail in the illustrations. I'm glad that the book gives out special messages to the parents. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i am guessing this book is filled with emotions.Would love to read it.

Return to “Children's Books”