Official Review: Kanana Tanana . . . and the Pie Recipe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Kanana Tanana . . . and the Pie Recipe

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kanana Tanana . . . and the Pie Recipe" by Karen Meyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kanana Tanana ate a delicious pie. She just had to have the recipe. However, when she asked Manana Fanana how she made the pie, Manana Fanana told her that there was no recipe at all. Author Karen Meyer tells the story of Kanana Tanana in her work of children’s fiction titled Kanana Tanana … and the Pie Recipe.

Kanana Tanana was certain that she tasted a banana in a Zanana pie. So, when Manana Fanana told her that the secret was that the pie had no recipe, Kanana Tanana considered the possibility that she was told a lie. She was determined to know so she took to the sky in her hot air balloon in search of the recipe. Kanana Tanana’s quest to find the recipe would teach her more than she had expected, and her delicious discovery just might change her mind.

This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Many children are curious and will go to great lengths to solve a mystery. This storybook opens with a series of comprehension questions for readers to consider as they read the story. Also, the book closes with a bonus poem about the main character, Kanana Tanana.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. The story is told with simple and understandable language. There is not one grammar error to be found. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read, and it is sure to inspire young imaginations. Children ages five to eight would enjoy reading this book, and children ages two to four would enjoy listening to an adult as they read this story to them.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. Matt Philleo illustrated this book. These illustrations breathe life into the story. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed. Each character's illustration gives them a bright and engaging personality.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. This is a well-written story with a purpose. The themes and lessons of acceptance and the importance of family are clear and presented in an understandable way. Reading this story to or with children will help parents and teachers start conversations about the importance of telling the truth. Furthermore, this is a fun and entertaining story that the entire family can enjoy together.

Kanana Tanana . . . and the Pie Recipe
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I wonder how far it will take Kanana Tanana to find the recipe. The fact that the book has a moral for children by discussing about acceptance and the importance of family is interesting. Nice review!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

So how do you make the pie. Sounds like a cute book. I'm glad the illustrations are good
:techie-studyingbrown:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I think the names might get confusing to children reading this book at some point. This book has a lot of lessons to teach children and their patent's on the importance of truth and acceptance of family. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I love children's book that rhyme or use language in an interesting way that captures the child's attention. My kids loved anything written by Lynley Dodd - of the 'Hairy Maclairy' and 'Slinky Malinky' series. Our current culture bombards kids day and night with words and images, and from what I read in this review, I feel that the author provides a quirky and light-hearted story with captivating illustrations that encourages kids to be kids. Thank you!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The sing-songy nature of the characters' names will attract children to the book and imprint the story in their memories. I like that the story has a lesson about problem-solving. That will expand children's imagination.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love the rhythm created by the names, it makes the book even more fun. I know its not that an adult like me should read, but i would still want to read it. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With the names, this reminds me a bit of a Dr. Seuss book. I think a modern day Dr. Seuss would be fabulous. With the way you enjoyed this one, it must be fairly well written. I'll have to check this one out!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I love the name of this book.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I do agree with your sentiment ,illustrations are a vital part in any children's book and if the author did indeed nail this part then i concur that the book indeed does deserve a 4 star rating. Your review deserves a 4 star rating too. I just had to make it known. 8)
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Children's Books”