Official Review: Babu goes back to the zoo.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Babu goes back to the zoo.

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Babu goes back to the zoo." by Miguel Alberto Toral.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Visiting the zoo is a fun experience for children. But what if you happened to live across from the zoo? Would you get bored of going there after a while?

The book Babu Goes Back to the Zoo by Miguel A. Toral is an exciting story that narrates one little boy’s experience of visiting the zoo. He lives across from the zoo and becomes bored because he had already seen all of the animals. A monkey with one red shoe spots him while he is leaving. The monkey promises to show Babu some new animals which he has never seen before. Babu agrees and the pair takes an adventure through the zoo until they encounter a strange type of animal. Actually, it may not even be an animal! The odd creature which they encounter soon brings one hundred and four of its friends to play with them. A dee-jay also appears. They all have a wonderful time together until it is time for them to return home.

Many children’s stories that are centered on a visit to the zoo tend to be realistic and educational. This book cannot be described as either of these. It is based solely on fantasy, but this made the story enjoyable and humorous. There was also an unexpected twist in the story that will captivate children and stimulate their imagination. As an adult reading this book, even I was surprised when the identity of the creature was revealed.

The sentences in the book followed a good rhyming scheme. Honestly, this was the best part of the book. The rhymes made it easy to comprehend the logical flow of Babu’s adventure. They also added an element of comedy to the story. For instance, one of the animals which Babu saw was a “snake that ate a six-layer cake.” I chuckled after reading this line.

The book contained illustrations on every page. Unfortunately, they were poorly drawn. Pale colors were also used. It is a widely known fact that children benefit from seeing brightly colored illustrations in books because it captures their interest, boosts their imaginative capabilities, and makes a fun reading experience. Therefore I think that this book would have benefitted from more creative illustrations.

Other features which could have been improved were the font size and the word choice. The font size was very small. Large, easy-to-read letters would have been more suitable for this book. I also noticed a few words which would be unfamiliar to younger children especially if they were reading the story by themselves. Two examples were “pondered,” and “detachable”. There were also words such as “tremendous” and “multicolored”. Although it is good for children to learn new words from books, too many can make a book tedious to read. I think the vocabulary could have been simpler in this story so that children could understand it easily.

It displeases me to write about the multitude of errors in this short tale. There were double question marks at the end of some sentences, incorrectly spelled words, and missing quotation marks. I do not think that this book was professionally edited.

Due to the poor illustrations, the small font size, the unsuitable word choice, and the grammatical errors in this storybook, I am awarding it 1 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend it to children unless these features have been improved.

Babu goes back to the zoo.
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

To err is human and i think if the errors noted by you in this great review would be corrected, it would be a great book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this one was so poorly written. Children's books need to be even more carefully edited than adults as they don't know the difference. It sounds like the story does have potential, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

A fun book with a mystery animal sounds good. Too bad about all the editorial mistakes, small font, and inadequate illustrations. I think I'll read it just to find out what the mystery animal is doing. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 07:30 I'm sorry this one was so poorly written. Children's books need to be even more carefully edited than adults as they don't know the difference. It sounds like the story does have potential, though. Thanks for the review.
I agree with you. Children learn from the books they read so it is very important for them to learn correct spelling, and grammar. This story definitely has potential, as you said, so I hope the author revamps the book. Thank you for commenting!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

the content is good but i wonder if children will be attracted by it
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like it has a cute storyline, but such a boring front cover. I wish the pictures were better. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”