Initial impressions of The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy by Claire Youmans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Initial impressions of The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy by Claire Youmans

Post by Shas F »

The Toki Girl and the Sparrow Boy is like a breath of fresh air for the fantasy adventure genre as there are not too many novels about mythical human-bird species. Mix that with Japanese folklore and fairy tales and you have an interesting read about identity, belonging, survival, family and community. I hope to see more Asian fantasy adventures as Book of the Day. Congratulations to Claire Youmans for her work and best wishes to her writing career. May she have many more stories to tell.

I have started reading this three-book box set and it is about the human-bird siblings Azuki, a Toki who sheds magical feathers out of which beautiful fabrics can be made, and Shota, a human-Sparrow. The first book is about Azuki and Shota's journey to regain their home after losing their parents to the villainous Genmai, the town sheriff who loves all things American and Western. Genmai wants to capture and enslave human birds like Tokis and human sparrows like Shota so he can exploit their beauty, their valuable feathers and powers. The book is in the genre of fantasy, adventure and myths but it is also set in the historical period - Meiji era - when Japan was on the brink of opening up to America and other European countries for trade and the time when the first rifles and trains were made and operated. Youmans' writing structure is simple, clear and clean and not too verbose. But through her words, you can still imagine the world she has created, and see Hachibei, Chizoyu, Azuki and Shota. The story is well-paced; the events are progressing not too fast and no situation drags. I'm looking forward to finishing this box set.
johnson15309
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johnson15309 »

I think is a nice write-up!!!!

Return to “Children's Books”