Official Review: The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog" by Andrew Sherriff.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lewin, the rescue dog, has an interesting affliction. He thinks he’s human! The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog follows Lewin on his daily routine. This allows the reader to truly comprehend just how un-doggish he is. Without the occasional slip-up of real dog behaviour, and without his perfectly dog-like looks, it would be very difficult to tell Lewin apart from an actual human being. Waking up to a cornflake breakfast, going to school, and playing cricket with his friends are some of the things that Lewin loves doing. These are the things that make it hard to tell whether he is, in fact, a dog or a human.

The premise of this book is very sweet. It is based on the author’s real dog, and there are ideas and thoughts derived directly from Lewin’s life. As a children’s book, it has the ability to poke fun at Lewin pretending to be a real human. I believe that children would love it even more because the whole principle is rather silly! Children tend to enjoy ideas that are somewhat illogical, and this book falls firmly into that category.

Andrew Sherriff, the author, also happens to be the illustrator. Sherriff has created some great paintings that go well with the text. They are colourful enough to keep the book entertaining, and they are realistic enough to understand exactly what is going on in them.

Unfortunately, the illustrations aren’t strong enough to carry the text. With 12 pages of writing containing only about two or three sentences per page, this book still needs extensive editing. The most obvious problem is the lack of commas. Without too much text to wade through, I can say that most of the sentences in this book are run-on sentences. An example of this is, “His favourite was cornflakes but he would sometimes forget to use a spoon and go back to being a dog and stuff his nose in the bowl.” This is very disappointing for a book with such little narrative.

The most information that I got about the book was in the Amazon blurb. It was there that I found out that Sherriff painted his own pictures and that Lewin was a shelter dog. The PDF format that I received had no front or back cover, nor did it have any information on the book – not even publishing information. As a result of this, I believe the version I read was a contraction of the real book. In other words, I think it’s unfinished.

I toggled between a rating of one and two stars. The only reason that I would give this book more than one star is because I might recommend it for children who can’t read yet. However, that is not the purpose of a children’s book. In good conscience, I cannot recommend The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog to anyone without a solid proofread and without a more finished feel. For those reasons, I have landed on a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. The illustrations and the charming premise don’t make up for the absolutely dismal text. The best thing, however, is that this book has four-star potential – and I honestly hope that the author gets it there!

The Ordinary Extraordinary Dog
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I honestly agree, the book has 4 stars potential for the premise itself speaks volumes. I sincerely love the dog, he is super social.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

What a pity that this book fell short. It sounded so appealing to begin with, and the idea is pretty good. I really hope the author irons out the wrinkles and sorts it out.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Quite unfortunate that such a book with a chance to inspire would land at a one star rating. Anyway i encourage the writer to redo the book again to bring out the best.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this book has some potential. I love the premise of the story; pets are almost human. It's too bad the author didn't have an editor to help him with his work. Sadly, that's lacking in so many books. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is a shame about the editing and run-on sentences, as I see every childhood book as being of educational value which includes being well-written. The bones of the story sound great and certainly something I would read to our families' little ones, as we are very dog-friendly. Thanks for the review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

wendos wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 00:17 I honestly agree, the book has 4 stars potential for the premise itself speaks volumes. I sincerely love the dog, he is super social.
I also thought the dog was great :) Thanks for stopping by.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

sonya01 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 02:14 What a pity that this book fell short. It sounded so appealing to begin with, and the idea is pretty good. I really hope the author irons out the wrinkles and sorts it out.
The wrinkles are also easily ironable :) I hope so too!
Thanks for commenting.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

fredrick otieno wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 04:38 Quite unfortunate that such a book with a chance to inspire would land at a one star rating. Anyway i encourage the writer to redo the book again to bring out the best.
I hope he does so too!
Thanks for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 10:00 It sounds like this book has some potential. I love the premise of the story; pets are almost human. It's too bad the author didn't have an editor to help him with his work. Sadly, that's lacking in so many books. Thanks for the review.
I know, my pet is SUPER human :) I hope the author finds an editor - this book would be great with a decent proofread.
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 18:52 It is a shame about the editing and run-on sentences, as I see every childhood book as being of educational value which includes being well-written. The bones of the story sound great and certainly something I would read to our families' little ones, as we are very dog-friendly. Thanks for the review!
It's always good when the bones of a story are solid. It means there is hope :)
Thanks for the comments!
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's disappointing that a four-star potential ends up with one star. I absolutely loved the premise - and title. I agree that children enjoy ideas that are somewhat illogical. The author needs to put his best foot (or book version) forward! Thanks for the entertaining review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

:coffee1-smiley:

I always think that the .pdf books must be pre-publication versions. Hopefully the author irons out the problems with this because it sounds like a premise that children would love. I want to see the picture of the dog eating Cornflakes!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like such a cute premise, but a kid's book especially needs to get the editing right.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Lewin eats cornflakes for breakfast? What an odd dog. I agree that children would be interested in the silliness of this tale. Too bad you didn't find it worth recommending.

Return to “Children's Books”