Official Review: Be Happy To Be You by Diane Hull

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Be Happy To Be You by Diane Hull

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be Happy To Be You" by Diane Hull.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Baby bird watches his friends and wishes he had their abilities to swim, run, and jump. Be Happy to Be You by Diane Hull is a children's picture book that follows the little bird's story as he learns to appreciate his own gifts and talents while finding joy in who he is.

Baby bird wishes he could swim in the river like his fish friends. If only he could run like the horses in the fields or jump like the frogs on the lily pads, he would be happy. Each time he admires others' abilities, his mother reminds him that he has special gifts of his own and encourages him, "Be happy to be you." It's not until the little bird gets sick and is unable to do the things that usually come naturally to him that he learns to appreciate his unique gifts and daily routine. Young readers, as well as adults, will relate to his journey to learn self-acceptance, joy, and contentment.

I really enjoyed reading this sweet picture book that emphasizes the value of being comfortable in your own skin--or in this case, feathers. The story is creatively written, edited, and beautifully illustrated. I find that artwork can make or break a quality children's book, and the colorful illustrations by Jan Dolby definitely enhanced the story.

Baby bird's character reflects vulnerability and insecurity making him relatable to young children. At the same time, young readers will find the encouraging mother's character reassuring. I particularly appreciate the way Hull uses the simple story to convey the importance of both accepting ourselves, as well as appreciating our unique abilities and talents. Since comparison is human nature, haven't we all wrestled with this concept at one time or another? This delightful book provides a fun way to teach this crucial lesson to young children without preaching.

The only weakness that could be considered regarding this story is that multiple variations on the topic have been published. Sadly, wanting to be someone other than ourselves and desiring others' talents are common themes in our society. Even so, there's a reason for the popularity of the subject, and I found Hull's style of addressing it to be creative and relatable to young children.

I'm happy to rate this entertaining children's story 4 out of 4 stars. It's always a pleasure to read an error-free book. I recommend it to the parents, grandparents, and teachers of young children. Additionally, the universal themes of self-acceptance and individuality will appeal to the adults reading it, as well.

Be Happy To Be You
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Thanks Cecilia. As always, your reviews are clear and concise and hit the nail on the head. I love children's books as there is always a significant lesson to be learned from them. The baby bird on the front cover looks terribly sweet, as well!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 13:58 Thanks Cecilia. As always, your reviews are clear and concise and hit the nail on the head. I love children's books as there is always a significant lesson to be learned from them. The baby bird on the front cover looks terribly sweet, as well!
Thanks, Sonya. I appreciate your comment.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This is a great story for kids. I think kids will learn a lot of moral lessons in this book. Great review
zenabylem
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zenabylem »

I agree to Cecilia's Review and the book is great reading material not only for kids and young adults but for adults as well ..even old folks needs to be reminded of how uniquely we are all created and the capabilities each one has.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 02:29 This is a great story for kids. I think kids will learn a lot of moral lessons in this book. Great review
Thank you, Noraine. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

zenabylem wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 02:48 I agree to Cecilia's Review and the book is great reading material not only for kids and young adults but for adults as well ..even old folks needs to be reminded of how uniquely we are all created and the capabilities each one has.
Thank you for commenting.
Kipruto Gideon Ngeno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kipruto Gideon Ngeno »

I have really liked the book review, it's a good book for the kids.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

That cute little bird getting sick is a unique take on learning to appreciate one's own abilities. I think that was a clever way to look at it, and that is something children can easily relate to. Even though the topic is addressed in an abundance of books/movies/shows, children who enjoy reading can get through so many books, and I don't think the recurring self-acceptance theme can do any harm.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kipruto Gideon Ngeno wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 09:08 I have really liked the book review, it's a good book for the kids.
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 14:23 That cute little bird getting sick is a unique take on learning to appreciate one's own abilities. I think that was a clever way to look at it, and that is something children can easily relate to. Even though the topic is addressed in an abundance of books/movies/shows, children who enjoy reading can get through so many books, and I don't think the recurring self-acceptance theme can do any harm.
I agree. I appreciate your comment.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the book Be Happy To Be You. It is a story of a little bird who wishes to be like a frog and like a horse. He desires to jump, to run and to swim for his happiness. Extremely different and beautiful review of the picture books of a little bird. Thanks for your review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Such an important topic for children to learn, acceptance of themselves and pride in what they can do. I love the illustration on the cover too! Thanks for a tour review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written, thorough review! I read and reviewed this book a few months ago and agree it was entertaining with an important message. It's nice when a book can be both fun and educational.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is another succinct review from you as well as much more. Sounds like a book that's fun-filled and educating. A book for the young readers. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Children's Books”