Official Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: Unwritten
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Official Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron

Post by hsimone » 05 Oct 2018, 16:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Down the Monster Hole" by Carmela Tal Baron.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eleven-year-old Tom feels misunderstood and can’t seem to wake up in the mornings. Feeling overwhelmed, he decides to run away from home. Shortly, he meets some kind caravan-dwellers and thinks life couldn’t be any better. That is, until he enters the Kingdom of Monsters.

Entering this unique kingdom, Tom encounters an assortment of monsters. While there, he agrees to participate in an unpredictable and exciting “Find the Dragon” game. As he plays, Tom realizes that maybe the misunderstanding back home was something different. Perhaps it was more of a lack of discipline on his own part that was missing. Join Tom on this monstrous journey in the children’s book, Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron

This book is comprised of seventeen short chapters and includes a variety of cute and sometimes odd illustrations. Some children would most likely enjoy these odd illustrations and find them humorous.

As the reader closely follows Tom on his journey of self-discipline, he becomes the most developed in the book. Aside from Tom’s aloof parents and the welcoming caravan-dwellers, Tom interacts with a variety of harmless monsters. The monsters include the silly pair Hippo and Rhino, Gurgle the Giraffe, Ear-El the cockroach, Jack the Shark, and many others. These monsters were sometimes hard to keep track of, so I appreciated when the author reminded which names belonged to which monster. On the other hand, every character, with perhaps the exception of Tom, was one-dimensional.

The story had the reminiscence of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. The eccentric characters Tom interacted with were within a quirky dream sequence and they seemed somewhat disconnected to each other. Some were silly, some were kind, and some were simply odd. However, as in Carroll’s book, there wasn’t a singular plotline. Therefore, it was a mish-mash of stories and interactions that created a choppy flow to the storyline.

There were a couple of plot holes within the text, as well. For instance, at one point, Tom was told that three stories would be shared with him, and each would contain a lesson to be learned. However, as far as I could tell only one was told. It was unclear why the other two were left out. Also, the progression of Tom’s self-discipline journey was not specified. He discovered discipline within himself, but rather abruptly, and given his parents, I'm not sure if he was the sole reason he lacked discipline.

Unfortunately, there were also several errors included in this children’s book. Ranging from missing punctuation, insertion of extra letters, and capitalization inconsistencies, the book could use another round of editing. I would caution for parents to be aware of the errors, as children can be easily influenced in the way they write.

Though a potential fun read to some children, I can only grant Down the Monster Hole a 2 out of 4 stars because of the editing, plot holes, and weak theme. Due to this being a particular style of writing, I would only recommend it those who enjoy quirky tales.

Down the Monster Hole
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

sonya01
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by sonya01 » 10 Oct 2018, 14:17

Thanks for the honest review. It does seem that this is a different kind of children's book, and might not be to everyone's taste. I usually like to give most children's books a try, but this one doesn't really grab me. I appreciate your honesty though.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: In the Grip of God by George Cargill

Post by teacherjh » 10 Oct 2018, 18:22

It is an interesting parallel to Alice in Wonderland, but I don't think I'll try this one. Thanks for the review.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Dream happy be great by Gary Krutz PhD

Post by bookowlie » 10 Oct 2018, 21:51

Thanks for another insightful review! Plot holes are never good, especially in a children's book. Kids need to have a strong storyline where they can easily "connect the dots." That being said, the cover of the book is amazing!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 266
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Lucifer Son of the Morning by Anthony Dean jr and Bonita Green
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 11 Oct 2018, 11:25

I'd actually picked this book to review about 5 weeks ago and was enjoying it a lot - despite the numerous grammatical errors I was finding - until it suddenly stopped at the end of Chapter Three; the uploaded file was incomplete, so I never got to finish it. Even with the plot holes, I still think I'd like to... Thanks for the review.

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: A Little Book of Doctors’ Rules III ... for Oslerian Clinicians by Clifton K Meador. MD

Post by Eva Darrington » 11 Oct 2018, 23:54

I tried to review this book but the download didn't come through correctly. I am glad you got a working copy. The book looked like a lot of fun, though it sounds like the wackiness couldn't quite stay ahead of the one dimensionality and editing problems. Thanks for the great review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 12 Oct 2018, 15:13

I expected the odd assortment of secondary characters to be full of weird personalities. What a disappointment. It sounds like someone is not quite on par with Louis Carroll.

kandscreeley
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Maya Mysun & The World That Does Not Exist by PM Perry

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Oct 2018, 18:25

This sounds like it has potential. I like the idea of him running from home and learning that it wasn't so bad in the land of monsters. But, the plot holes would be confusing to an adult much less a child. The errors, too, are disappointing. Thanks for the review, but I'll pass.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Children's Books”