Official Review: Beeswing Makes Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Beeswing Makes Friends

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beeswing Makes Friends" by James Bruner & Elizabeth Stevens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"In the Beforetime, long, long ago, there was a little golden dragon named Beeswing. He could breathe fire when he was angry, but he almost never was."

Like so many children’s classics before it, Beeswing Makes Friends beckons young children with whimsical words they will want to hear read again and again. Written by married film and television writer-producers James Bruner and Elizabeth Stevens, the book is the first in a fantasy children's book series featuring the lovable baby dragon, Beeswing, and his friends.

Beeswing is a magical golden dragon who loves singing and playing with his friends. One morning after a busy day of play, he falls into a deep sleep with his special friends Fred the teddy bear, Blinky the blanky, and musical Songbox. When they finally wake up, time has passed, and everything looks different. Though they are disappointed they can't find their old friends, Beeswing comes up with an idea to make new friends. When he sees four children who have recently moved into the nearby apartment building, he uses his special gift to make them laugh, and they all become fast friends.

There's so much to like about this delightful fantasy for children beginning with the book's opening text. What's not to love about a singing, shape-shifting dragon? It's beautifully illustrated with cartoon-like art by Daniela Frongia, and the amusing story is sure to engage young readers. Young children will relate to Beeswing's trusty companions Fred the teddy bear and Blinky Blanky. Beeswing's magical ability to change into different animals may also serve as an introduction to fantasy for little ones. Perhaps what I enjoyed most about the story were the themes of kindness, friendship, and compassion that the story teaches to its readers often through songs led by the singing character, Songbox. "Beeswing's my friend. He's friends with me. Come along with us. There's lots to see. Fun and adventure is what will be!"

It's with great pleasure that I rate this delightful children's book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited, as I didn't note a single grammatical error. Furthermore, I honestly can't think of any area that needs improvement. I recommend it to parents, grandparents, and teachers who read to young children. Little ones as young as toddlers will enjoy having this entertaining story read to them, possibly by an older sibling who is learning to read. It's a fun read-aloud story for the family.

Beeswing Makes Friends
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Beeswing Makes Friends sounds like a fun addition to add to my personal library! I particularly like, according to your review, that Beeswing doesn't become frustrated with the change, but rather embraces it and makes to the most of the present. That theme alone is an excellent message to children.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KarinaBordas wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 16:15 Beeswing Makes Friends sounds like a fun addition to add to my personal library! I particularly like, according to your review, that Beeswing doesn't become frustrated with the change, but rather embraces it and makes to the most of the present. That theme alone is an excellent message to children.
That's a great point! I appreciate your comment.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think this would definitely need to be read out loud in order to truly enjoy the songs of the music box. I love the cover art. What a cute book. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 21:13 I think this would definitely need to be read out loud in order to truly enjoy the songs of the music box. I love the cover art. What a cute book. Great review!
I agree. Thank you!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Beeswing has such a witty way to make friends even if he loses some. I am in love with his special gift: I am also sure that kids will want to associate with Beeswing. Such a cute book.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

The cover of the book looks really cute. The title is also attractive, and I would like to read this to my younger brother.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like such an adorable book! I love the picture and the fact that Beeswing is a golden dragon. Even as adults, I think we need to take time to be kids sometimes. Maybe this would be a good one to read for that purpose. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

wendos wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 04:50 Beeswing has such a witty way to make friends even if he loses some. I am in love with his special gift: I am also sure that kids will want to associate with Beeswing. Such a cute book.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 05:00 The cover of the book looks really cute. The title is also attractive, and I would like to read this to my younger brother.
I think your brother will enjoy it. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 07:26 This sounds like such an adorable book! I love the picture and the fact that Beeswing is a golden dragon. Even as adults, I think we need to take time to be kids sometimes. Maybe this would be a good one to read for that purpose. Thanks.
You make a good point--that's exactly why I adore children's books. Thanks for your comment.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds very cool for a kids book. I love reading reviews of kids book as I'm always amazed you can easily find as much to comment on as a full-length novel. I appreciate the great descriptions of the book and a very thorough review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jcoad wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 10:33 Sounds very cool for a kids book. I love reading reviews of kids book as I'm always amazed you can easily find as much to comment on as a full-length novel. I appreciate the great descriptions of the book and a very thorough review!
Thank you.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The themes of kindness, friendship, and compassion are wonderful for a children's book! This one looks appealing and sounds delightful--a great addition to any family or school's library. Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

stacie k wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:30 The themes of kindness, friendship, and compassion are wonderful for a children's book! This one looks appealing and sounds delightful--a great addition to any family or school's library. Great review!
Thank you, Stacie. :tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”