Official Review: The Little Red Dog in a Box

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Little Red Dog in a Box

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Little Red Dog in a Box" by Tori Carrato.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Little Red Dog in a Box tells the tale of Cody, a red dachshund puppy who was found abandoned in a box with three biscuits and a towel. The man who found him took the pup to his sister, who was thinking of adopting a dog at that time. Cody was immediately adopted by Mimi. Cody narrates the story of his life with Mimi. He talks about his likes and dislikes, his trips to the vet, meeting Mimi’s relatives, and all of the little adventures he embarked on during his first year. This unique children’s story was written by Tori Carrato.

This book was an enjoyable read because the story flowed logically from the beginning to the end. Cody first described his new home and owners before delving into his experiences. Additionally, the book included photos in almost every chapter. This was a nice touch because the pictures divided the text which made it easier to read. I also felt like I could connect with the characters through the photos, especially the cat, Jag, who was described as an unfriendly and willful creature. In one photo, he is standing in defiance on top of a table with his tail in the air. I thought that this picture truly represented Jag’s personality.

I also liked that the story was told through Cody’s perspective. His thoughts, feelings, and curiosity were portrayed very well. For instance, his questions and concerns surrounding his first visit to the vet accurately depicted the anxiety that most pets experience when they are taken there. Cody also spoke about his dislike for vehicles which passed by, such as the garbage truck and motorcycles. To express his dislike, he would bark incessantly until Mimi threatened to smack him with the flyswatter. This made me laugh because I thought of my own pet dog, Vixen, who does the same thing.

Since this book is marketed for children, I was disappointed that there were no children in the story. I think that there should have been at least one child in the story who had an active role with Cody. This would have made the adventures in the book a little more playful. It would also be fun to read about Cody’s thoughts and feelings toward children. If the story was being read to a child, this could have also sparked a conversation about how some dogs react to children. This was the only shortcoming of the book.

I was pleasantly surprised that this book contained only one error - a misspelled name. Despite this, I think the book was professionally edited. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone who owns a dog will enjoy this book. Teens and adults who are contemplating getting a puppy will also benefit from reading this book. However, I am uncertain as to whether children will like the story. They may not understand the term neutering. As I mentioned before, the story also lacked interaction between Cody and children, so young readers may not have a character who they can relate to.

The Little Red Dog in a Box
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I like that the book is told from the dogs perspective. The story sounds fun. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

That's a good catch that as a children's book, it should really have some child characters in it - especially since kids and dogs are so sweet together. Thanks for your fun review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Silvia itegi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Silvia itegi »

The book is interesting and kids who are much interested in pets would love it as well are adults who are lovers of such books.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I love animal 'autobiographies' and this one sounds really cute. Thank you for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Children's Books”