Review by shelman95 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shelman95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelman95.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by shelman95 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by shelman95 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something stinks about this book and Sigfried is on the hunt to figure out what it is. From rotten bananas to stinky baby diapers, each page has a new disgusting thing to discover. Sigfried's entire family has seemingly contributed to the "stench" of this book--his brother, baby sister, dog, and even uncle. Despite this, none of the various odors quite compare to that of Sigfried's own smelly socks. Of course, each sock has its own unique smell, which the boy doesn't hesitate to share with us.

This hilariously charming book will delight readers of any age. Parents and grandparents will be entertained reading it to the little ones in their life and teachers will have fun reading this to their class. It can even be used as a fun way to teach children to tidy up. No one wants to end up with a book full of stinky smells like Sigfried, so it is a great reminder on the importance of keeping our surroundings clean. Children will have fun seeing what new stinky thing was left on each page and adults will enjoy reading it out loud. This is a book that will definitely lead to fits of giggles. I can only imagine the reactions one would get by reading this to a room full of children, and the possible stories they could share of their own stinky findings. Children will no doubt love it for the yuck-factor and will want to read it again and again.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There were no spelling errors that I noticed and I thought it was a blast to read. Who knew a book full of disgusting smells would be so enjoyable? My only complaint about this book was the fact that the title leads us to believe this is going to be a book entirely about socks, but socks aren't even mentioned until the last half of the book. However, I still thought it was a highly enjoyable story.

Len Foley uses whimsical rhymes to tell this story and has a mixture between illustrations and realistic photos. This is a perfect book to read to preschoolers or for early readers to understand and use for practice, and have fun while doing it. The use of rhymes in this book not only makes it enjoyable to read, but it also helps children with language development. When it came to the pictures, I especially enjoyed the use of realistic photos for some of the "things" left in the book that led to it smelling and I think children will enjoy that as well. They really seemed to pop out of the page and make the story more lifelike. The illustrations are adorable and I enjoy the faces of the different characters reacting to the many smells they are being exposed to.

Overall, this is a great children's book. I would highly recommend Sigfried's Smelly Socks! to anyone with a child. Whether it's a parent adding it to their personal home collection of children's books or a teacher adding it to the classroom library, this book will surely become a favorite.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like shelman95's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”