Review by CinWin -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CinWin
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading: Payers, Affirmations and Meditations
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by CinWin -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by CinWin » 25 Sep 2018, 19:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is just a regular kid at first sight. But the difference is that he is a Superhero! He helps out around the house and rescues animals. Toni enjoys the regular things that all little boys do - eating, sleeping, reading and playing. Perhaps that is what makes him a superhero? He simply enjoys life! Toni always has a smile on his face and is enthusiastic and happy no matter what he is doing. It might seem very mundane to the average person, but Toni is having the time of his life.

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is an excellent book for children just beginning to read or for smaller children that enjoy being read to. It has a very simple plot with very simple words. All children can relate to Toni's daily activities because they also do them. I believe that this shows them that they too can be a special superhero just by doing everyday things and enjoying these activities.

I give this little novel 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is excellent for the young ones and the illustrations are superb. This is the first e-book I have ever read that had pictures in color. I was very impressed.

There were no typographical errors. Each sentence began with "Toni likes to". I believe this helps the early reader recognize the same words and the children that enjoy being read to benefit from the repetition. Young ones love the feeling of somewhat knowing what to expect. It adds to their control of a situation - in this case, the reading of a book.

I read to my granddaughters at least once a week and this is one of their most favorite. The two-year-old has it memorized already because she actually says it with me. We have this game that we play where she runs around the house and outside with her little cape on and copies what Toni is doing in the book. I believe that not only reading to a child is important but also interaction with the story helps develop their cognitive abilities.

I believe that this could very easily morph into a "Toni" series. The author could perhaps take each of the things that Toni likes to do and have separate little books that go further in detail for each activity. For example, we could show Toni playing with his friends. What types of games would they play? Another book could be about the healthy foods that Toni enjoys eating. What are these foods and does he like helping Mom make them? The rescuing of animals could be a really good story. He could be helping cats and dogs and perhaps even a hamster in distress. I enjoyed Toni the Superhero and look forward to more of Mrs. Base's books to read to my granddaughters.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like CinWin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”