Official Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Picture Perfect" by D.G. Stern.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Picture Perfect by D. G. Stern is a middle-grade adventure novel about a family that solves crimes and mysteries. The Charles family comprises of a father, a mother, a set of twins, a cat, and a dog. The story is written from the point of view of Upton Charles, the dog. There are twenty-seven short chapters in the book. Each chapter begins with a black and white illustration. The illustrations were done by Deborah Allison. Upton Charles and his owner’s walk is interrupted by a fire incident in a neighbor’s house. This disrupts their lunch plans as well as their itinerary for the day. The damage to the neighbor’s house and property is minimal but appears to have been intentionally induced. The clues do not add up, and the Charles’ family work together to solve the mystery.

I liked reading the story from the unusual point of view of the dog Upton Charles. Upton is a likeable, witty character. Upton’s introduction of the rest of the family at the beginning of the book was entertaining. His description of the twins and their frequent fights was hilarious. Most parents and children can relate to the fights associated with sibling rivalry. The antics he uses to pass on information to his “father” made me laugh a lot especially the part in which he uses sneezing to suggest that he would like some food. This humor is age-appropriate as children also use different methods to indicate their needs to their parents.

The book will appeal to children and animal lovers. The fact that a cat was included in the “spy” family will make it appealing to both dog and cat lovers. It highlights the possibility of increased and productive interaction between pets and their owners.

I loved the use of character humor and wit in the story. It is entertaining and teaches children the importance of teamwork, deductive reasoning and logic. It would make a great holiday book to read by the beach. It reminded me of a book I have reviewed titled “The Diary of a Snoopy cat” by R. F. Kristi in which the detective was the snoopy cat.

The writing is smooth, and the story flows effortlessly. The vocabulary is appropriate for children aged 7 and above. The black and white illustrations at the beginning of each chapter can be painted by readers as added fun. I found no grammatical errors, so I think it was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I heartily recommend it to children aged 7 and above as well as young adults. It is the type of book one can read several times without getting tired. It is a useful addition to family and school libraries.

Picture Perfect
View: on Bookshelves

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! This seems to be an enjoyable read for children and young adults. A dog describing his family sounds adorable. :)
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

An interesting book that teaches children and parents importance of love and teamwork in a family. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love cats and dogs. This is a book i would enjoy, even though it is for young adults, i still wouldn't mind reading it. Thanks for this great review.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I loved The Diary of a Snoopy Cat, as did my children. They are not quite the target age group but do enjoy books aimed at an older audience. I would be happy to give this book a go.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This novel sounds delightful for young readers 7 and above and a nice book for someone to read to slightly younger children. I was curious so I peaked at the sample and it is an engaging story. I like the story coming from Upton Charles's point of view. Upton is a very cute Bichon Frise. He seems quite the character and knows how to communicate his needs, especially when it comes to food. Thanks for the nicely written review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this mystery is from the dog's point of view. That makes it especially appealing. When I was younger, Encyclopedia Brown was one of my favorite series. This has the same mystery type aspect. I might pick it up just to feel like a kid again. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i could not resist reading the review after watching the cover of the book.Its humorous and jolly kind of book
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like my twins. I liked Diary of a Snoopy Cat. This sounds like a cute book. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

T_stone wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 02:51 An interesting book that teaches children and parents importance of love and teamwork in a family. Nice review
Succinctly out T_stone! Thanks for reading and commenting on the review. Deeply appreciated!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Book Lover 35 wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 00:04 Sounds like my twins. I liked Diary of a Snoopy Cat. This sounds like a cute book. Thank you for the review!
It is a very cute book. I could barely put it down! We seem to have similar taste in books. I really liked the Diary of a Snoopy Cat. Thanks for commenting. Cheers!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

writer808 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:59 i could not resist reading the review after watching the cover of the book.Its humorous and jolly kind of book
Extremely jolly with a lot of excitement in the adventure. I will be looking out for the other books in the series! Thanks for reading and commenting. Cheers!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:10 I love that this mystery is from the dog's point of view. That makes it especially appealing. When I was younger, Encyclopedia Brown was one of my favorite series. This has the same mystery type aspect. I might pick it up just to feel like a kid again. Thanks.
Picking it up is a great idea. I enjoyed reading from the dog's perspective too. thanks for commenting!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Britty01 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 13:10 This novel sounds delightful for young readers 7 and above and a nice book for someone to read to slightly younger children. I was curious so I peaked at the sample and it is an engaging story. I like the story coming from Upton Charles's point of view. Upton is a very cute Bichon Frise. He seems quite the character and knows how to communicate his needs, especially when it comes to food. Thanks for the nicely written review.
Thanks for your insightful comment and kind words. it is a good book to read!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 09:55 I loved The Diary of a Snoopy Cat, as did my children. They are not quite the target age group but do enjoy books aimed at an older audience. I would be happy to give this book a go.
Thanks for commenting. I also loved The Diary of a Snoopy Cat! I think you will thoroughly enjoy reading this as well. Cheers!

Return to “Children's Books”