Review by Stacy_Morgan -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Stacy_Morgan -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan » 21 Sep 2018, 11:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raise of hands, who knows little ones who loves superheroes? Do your little ones know superheroes their age? Your little ones should meet Toni--a little one who /is/ a superhero.

Toni is an everyday superhero who saves the day in his own kind of way. Toni is a sweeping, dusting, everyday-helping superhero. As a little one Toni does what little ones do. This superhero also loves running, jumping, swimming, playing, and just plain old fun!

R.D. Base is a mother of three young boys. She was able to take what she knows about a child’s level of focus and understanding and apply that knowledge in writing this well put together book. I gained this information through the 'About the Author' page, though it would've been easy to assess. I admire her for using something children would be interested in--superheroes--to garner positive feelings toward helping around the house.

I wouldn't necessarily call this book a "story" as there is no plot. Base made sure I was aware of this going in, which I appreciate. I don't take points off for this; the target audience is children who may not be willing or able to appreciate a plot-based story. The structure of this book is perfectly suited for the appropriate audience.

PDF was the only format available for this book. I understand this, because it's the most common format that allows for the illustrations Toni the Superhero has. These illustrations are a big part of the story, so I’m in no way complaining. I can't say I recommend this format if you have the choice, though, because you see only one side of the page at a time. This was a bit confusing during my first read through; I only caught it near the end. However, I was able to reread the story with the new understanding pretty quickly. The second read through was much less confusing.

I am happy to report Toni the Superhero has a grand total of zero typos. In a children's book this is to be expected, however, as a writer myself, I hold this achievement in high esteem.

This book was not rushed through as can easily happen when one is writing a children's book. This is evident in the quality with which it is written. The lack of typos and richness of childhood-reminiscent artwork clearly show the dedication to creating a quality product—something too many give up in favor of getting a book bearing their name on the shelf. The message of the book brought a smile to my face. This message conveyed superheroes are not only needed to fight the villains with bedazzled peacoats, snappy one-liners, and death rays. They're also needed to fight the smaller, craftier villains found in dust bunnies and dirty dishes. This was my favorite part, and I wish to all the parents reading this that it may work for your child.

All told, I offer Toni the Superhero a 4 out of 4 star rating. I recommend it to families with young children, though the fact that it made this eighteen-year-old smile suggests it’d work just as well as encouragement to older children—and even adults who aren’t too serious to miss the message of children’s books—to be the superhero of the house.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Stacy_Morgan's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”