Review by klballard -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
klballard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klballard.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Review by klballard -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by klballard » 21 Sep 2018, 10:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does a superhero do when he isn’t saving the world? Find out in Toni the Superhero by R. D. Base.

Follow Toni through a day in his life, to see exactly what a normal day is like for the young hero. Toni takes you on a trip through the neighborhood to show you all of his favorite places - he even takes you to his house! Toni also shares all of his favorite activities with you throughout the journey. You find out that the life of a superhero is exciting every day - not just on days when he has to fight crime. You might even find out that you like to do a lot of the same things that Toni does! Could that mean that you might be a superhero too?

This was a really great book - a definite 4 out of 4 stars. This is the first book in a series about Toni, and I look forward to the others. Though Toni isn’t a superhero in the traditional sense, it is still a fun book for children. As a parent, I found three major reasons why this book is outstanding.

First of all, this book is instantly relatable to me as a parent. My children love dressing up, and they are happy to keep their costumes on while they do everyday activities. They also like many of the things Toni likes, and I can use this book to encourage them to try new things too.

Secondly, this book does a great job of promoting word recognition through repetition and word-action association. The illustrations are very clear, showing what Toni is doing, so young readers are able to decipher what Toni likes from what they see, thus associating the pictures with the words.

Thirdly, this book is extremely teachable - as long as the reader is willing to see that there are lessons to learn. One lesson for my children that this book will help reinforce is, that a ‘normal day’ doesn't have to be a boring one - it can be an extraordinary day, as long as you approach it with the right attitude! This book is able to give as many lessons as one can imagine, and flexible enough that the lessons can be molded around each family, as well as each individual child.

I would recommend this book for children ages 0-6. I read this to all my children in that age range, and they loved it.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like klballard's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”