Official Review: The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey" by Wallace E Briggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jimmy Crikey was not enjoying junior high school at all. He had given up on getting his classmates to like him, and things were getting worse. The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey is the first in a series of children’s books by Wallace E. Briggs. The story finds Jimmy Crikey preparing to run away from home.

Crikey wasn’t even his name. Kids called him Jimmy Crikey because his appearance was so surprising. Bright red hair, long, pointy ears, and “ee-nor-mous” feet made him the subject of taunts and jokes. Jimmy, desperately seeking a place where he fits in, packs a satchel and leaves home. Stumbling through the dark night, he falls down a deep hole and lands in Roombelow, a new world where adventure abounds, and where Jimmy’s big feet and pointy ears are needed to solve some very serious problems. New friends, witches brew, a magic ring, and a giant eel named Larson all propel Jimmy closer to finding out the truth about why he looks different.

I enjoyed two characters in particular: The Weatherman, who lives in a cloud and regularly falls asleep on the job, and Gemma, who lives at the bottom of a well. Briggs writes, “Jimmy’s best friend, Gemma, lived in a small, comfortably furnished cave at the bottom of the well in the centre of Roombelow’s town square.” I love this imagery. Children might wonder how someone would furnish a cave at the bottom of a well. I enjoyed imagining how that could happen and think this kind of writing encourages kids to think creatively. I hope we meet Gemma and The Weatherman again in this series.

The author crafts several themes that work well for children. Jimmy’s character develops skills based on his unique physical qualities; his enormous feet enable him to traverse obstacles others can’t, and his long, pointy ears can hear sounds that prove essential to the fate of Roombelow. Jimmy learns differences are to be valued. Loneliness, friendship, kindness, courage, and identity work together as primary themes in the story. It is kindness and friendship that afford Jimmy the confidence needed to find his courage, and his courageous acts lead him to discover some surprises about his past.

I experienced a few small problems with the book. At times I felt the story moved too quickly through significant events, where I would have loved to see a bit more imagery and more lyrical language included. I was unsure about the author’s intent with a couple of story elements. It is the witch Matilda, for example, who orders everyone in Roombelow not to laugh at Jimmy. This was a bit confusing. We want our kids to emulate people who are kind because they value kindness, not because it is a rule. These are relatively minor issues that did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the story.

The book spans 132 widely spaced pages and fifteen chapters. The chapters are short, and the language is easy to understand. It appears the book was professionally edited, as I found just one error. Good chapter-book readers under ten will enjoy this book, and younger children will love having it read at story time. Most of the plotlines tie up well but for a few that will undoubtedly carry through to the next book, Attalia, which is already available. I rate The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey 4 out of 4 stars. The adventures are fun and the messages easy to understand. I was drawn in even as an adult and look forward to the series developing.

The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love children's books and this sounds like one I would enjoy reading. Excellent review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 12:21 I love children's books and this sounds like one I would enjoy reading. Excellent review!
I did enjoy this sweet book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Your lovely review piqued my interest! I love a well-written children's book. Thanks for the thorough insight. :tiphat:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 11:59 Your lovely review piqued my interest! I love a well-written children's book. Thanks for the thorough insight. :tiphat:
Yes, I hope you enjoy it if you try it. I did want a little bit more fun imagery but mostly loved this book. Thanks so much for dropping in and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Every time I read a review of this type I wonder why I don't read more Young Adult type books. They are always so much more fun and simple than some adult novels can be. Thanks for the great review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:17 Every time I read a review of this type I wonder why I don't read more Young Adult type books. They are always so much more fun and simple than some adult novels can be. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, I agree. Sometimes my brain needs simple. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the idea that the things he did not like about himself and got teased for were vital later on. That's a great lesson.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 16:01 I love the idea that the things he did not like about himself and got teased for were vital later on. That's a great lesson.
Yes, I was happy to see it incorporated into the story. Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Even with a few faults, this sounds like a delightful book. Nice review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Dael Reader wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:03 Even with a few faults, this sounds like a delightful book. Nice review!
Yes, it's a sweet book. Thank you for stopping in and taking time to read my review.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Children's Books”