Official Review: Crabbie by Jenny Anne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Rosemary Wright
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Crabbie by Jenny Anne

Official Review: Crabbie by Jenny Anne

Post by Rosemary Wright » 09 Sep 2018, 11:05

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crabbie" by Jenny Anne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crabbie, by Jenny Anne, is a picture book about Crabbie, a baby crab. Crabbie lives in the sea with his family. One day, he goes playing under a rock, and before he knows it, the tide goes out. He finds himself on the wet sand, close to some children playing. Will he be trampled? Will he be saved?

This children's narrative is fascinating and enlightening. Being a short story, it consists of valuable lessons. In an interesting manner, it explores the themes of obedience, kindness, and love. Containing short sentences, it's simple and easy to read. Including rhyming words, it'll teach children critical verbal skills, such as repetition and rhythm. Moreover, it'll be fun for early readers when it's read aloud to them by adults.

The text on each page is concise, and a beautiful picture is attached to it. The illustrations are clear and colorful. Frankly, what I like most about the book is the way all the sentences are depicted in the pictures. This feature will enable kids to relate easily to the story. Besides, it brings the characters alive. I enjoyed reading the tale, and I'm sure kids will love it too.

Children have a tendency to wander away from home because they are adventurous. This story unveils the disadvantages of straying. It'll educate kids to take their parents' advice and stay close to home. It supports the act of kindness towards our fellow beings and animals. Furthermore, it'll help develop reading skills. The text font is bold and slightly larger. Included are sight words, such as ran, wet, tide, big, along and so on.

The author capitalized some words in the middle of the sentences for emphasis, but I think that is not proper for beginning readers. It'll teach them poor grammar skills since only five percent of what people write is in capital letters. For example, "Some children came Along happily playing On the wet sand" and "Crabbie felt frightened, And lonely, he wanted His Mummy and Daddy." Those are extracts from the text. A couple of the illustrations show a little girl upside down. It got me confused for a few seconds, it may also confuse some young children.

Overall, this picture book is interesting and educational. It's appealing and engaging. I didn't see any grammatical or typographical errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to children aged between 4 and 7 years.

Crabbie
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Author Is Dead by Ches Smith

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Sep 2018, 07:55

These are the kind of beautiful illustrations children's books should feature. It sounds like a great teaching story for young readers as well. Great review!

Rosemary Wright

Post by Rosemary Wright » 10 Sep 2018, 08:06

Cecilia_L wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 07:55
These are the kind of beautiful illustrations children's books should feature. It sounds like a great teaching story for young readers as well. Great review!
Yes, it is! Thanks for your nice comment Cecilia.

ashley_claire
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading: Red Rising
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: The Markov Encryption by David N Robinson

Post by ashley_claire » 10 Sep 2018, 08:49

If the rest of the illustrations in the book are as colorful as the cover, I can see kids easily enjoying it. It also sounds like the book has a good message that young kids will be able to grasp. Nice review!

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 10 Sep 2018, 09:00

I loved the educational messages behind the book. Brightly colored illustrations and a nice tale add up to the value of such a wonderful book. Thank you for the thorough and enlightening review

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Sep 2018, 11:31

I love the title, I love the cover and I love the inspirational lessons to be learned! All in all, it sounds like a fantastic children's book. I'm a bit above the target age, and I don't have children. Therefore, I'll pass, but it sounds great for the intended audience. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Rosemary Wright

Post by Rosemary Wright » 10 Sep 2018, 11:50

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 11:31
I love the title, I love the cover and I love the inspirational lessons to be learned! All in all, it sounds like a fantastic children's book. I'm a bit above the target age, and I don't have children. Therefore, I'll pass, but it sounds great for the intended audience. Thanks!
Thanks kandscreeley for loving everything about the book! Since it's not for you, I hope you recommend it to someone. Lol 👍

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 10 Sep 2018, 13:56

What a cute story with a valuable lesson. Kids do tend to wander and this seems like a great way to let them know they should stay close by without alarming them too much. The random capitalization would drive me nuts though; I completely agree that children's books should be perfectly grammatically correct. Maybe use bold font for emphasis, but not capitals.

Rosemary Wright

Post by Rosemary Wright » 10 Sep 2018, 14:10

kfwilson6 wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 13:56
What a cute story with a valuable lesson. Kids do tend to wander and this seems like a great way to let them know they should stay close by without alarming them too much. The random capitalization would drive me nuts though; I completely agree that children's books should be perfectly grammatically correct. Maybe use bold font for emphasis, but not capitals.
You're right kfwilson6. Bold font would have been better.

daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by daydreaming reader » 11 Sep 2018, 18:55

Judging from the cover, the illustrations must be wonderful. The mid sentence capitalization for emphasis is a turn off though. Thank you for your review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Oulababe » 14 Sep 2018, 07:34

I like that the book has such an important lesson. It's definitely a good book for children.

Return to “Children's Books”