Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 795
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- Toni the Superhero

Post by ObsessedBookNerd » 05 Sep 2018, 12:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is a children’s book for ages 4 years old and younger. It is illustrated by Debbie Hefke. It’s about a boy who is a superhero and he likes to be outdoors, do chores and learn. Toni teaches children the values of helping, learning, and being kind.

This book is a great way to teach children that are just beginning to learn to read. Each sentence is short so it will be easier for children to learn and the vocabulary is simple enough for them to understand. The thing I liked most was that it instills good values while at the same time it’s interesting enough for kids that they would enjoy it. I also think it helps to know that the author has raised three children of her own so that she has experience helping children learn to read.

The illustration of the book is different from most children’s books. It is bold with its color and design that it will draw in the young readers. I think the illustration will help children reading to recognize that they can be superheroes like Toni because they will be able to do the things that he can. The bright colors that the illustrator uses makes the story fascinating and fun to read. It is beautifully drawn and unique so it’s not the same as other children’s books.

There was only one thing in the story that I disliked; there are illustrated pages in the book but no sentence. I feel those pages were unnecessary especially considering there wasn’t anything significant in the illustration for the story to continue. I should also explain that I read the story online so it would be different in a hard copy picture book format, and it might look better with the illustrations that I found unnecessary. I also wished that the author had made the story a little longer.

Overall, I rate this a 4 out of 4 stars. It will be easy for young readers, it impresses upon good values that parents will want their children to learn, and children would feel like they could be like Toni. The illustrations are also interesting enough that children will want to read the story to learn how to be like Toni the Superhero. I also found no spelling or grammar errors while reading this book. It’s an appropriate children’s book that younger readers will love.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like ObsessedBookNerd's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”