Official Review: I want to be a boy by Hope Sarna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: I want to be a boy by Hope Sarna

Post by kandscreeley »

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with girls wanting to be pirates or playing with trucks rather than dolls. I think they're too young to be learning about transgenders, but it doesn't sound like what this book is about. Looks cute from the cover. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 08:19 I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with girls wanting to be pirates or playing with trucks rather than dolls. I think they're too young to be learning about transgenders, but it doesn't sound like what this book is about. Looks cute from the cover. Thanks!
You’re right, it’s not about transgenders. I think in not wanting to completely give away the ending, I didn’t make that part clear enough. Belle is a “tomboy” who thinks she can’t be a girl if she doesn’t fit the girlie mold. Her mother assured her that she can, and shares that she enjoys pirates, dinosaurs, and soccer as well. :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Quite a thought-provoking title and cover page. Quite often we encounter the opposite of this predicament of the boys who want to be girls but re rarely dwell on the girls who want to be boys. This book examines this occurrence, so it facilitates a dialogue on these issues.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

What a great way to write a story about a complex topic in a way children can understand
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

What a wonderful book! I will definitely check it out! It is so important for kids these days to have ways to express their identities in manners that they feel comfortable. I don't have kids, but I kind of wish I did just so I could buy this book and show it to them!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Italiansweety1982 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 17:01 What a great way to write a story about a complex topic in a way children can understand
I agree! :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Bookmermaid wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 12:36 Quite a thought-provoking title and cover page. Quite often we encounter the opposite of this predicament of the boys who want to be girls but re rarely dwell on the girls who want to be boys. This book examines this occurrence, so it facilitates a dialogue on these issues.
Thanks so much for your feedback! :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

sarbearah wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 19:14 What a wonderful book! I will definitely check it out! It is so important for kids these days to have ways to express their identities in manners that they feel comfortable. I don't have kids, but I kind of wish I did just so I could buy this book and show it to them!
It would be a great gift for a niece, nephew, or the child of a friend! 😉 Thanks for checking out my review!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I love the idea of this book! It's something I would definitely read to my children and my students. The hardest thing to do when you are a child is to accept singularity and that you are not like the others around you. I think this book is a great help and it should be in every children's library.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Mikimii
Currently Reading: Sanctum
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikimii.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mikimii »

I'd definitely like to read this. My first thought was that she doesn't want to be a boy but has interests that deviate from societal gender norms. What exactly is "being a boy" or "being a girl"? I'm going to give it a read when I get the chance.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 07:31 I love the idea of this book! It's something I would definitely read to my children and my students. The hardest thing to do when you are a child is to accept singularity and that you are not like the others around you. I think this book is a great help and it should be in every children's library.
Thank you! It really is a fun book with a great message. I hope you, and those you read to, enjoy the book. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mikimii wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 01:29 I'd definitely like to read this. My first thought was that she doesn't want to be a boy but has interests that deviate from societal gender norms. What exactly is "being a boy" or "being a girl"? I'm going to give it a read when I get the chance.
I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for taking time to check out my review, and for sharing your thoughts. :)
OlowonibiOO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OlowonibiOO »

The wishful thinking is good but girls should realise that what a boy can do, girls can do much better. we have a free level playing ground for all to participate
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds so cute and great that she was able to draw from her own experience with her daughter. I can relate to her daughter I was a tomboy too and still am.
Floxxy01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Floxxy01 »

Wow! Such a sweet book. I imagine how the Young Lady feels among her peers - out of place of coz. I was once in that shoe but being who you are despite circumstances is a great plus to humanity. I want to be a boy is much needed and would definately be appreciated coz out there are Young ladies out of place in gender equilibrium.

Return to “Children's Books”