Official Review: I want to be a boy by Hope Sarna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: I want to be a boy by Hope Sarna

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I want to be a boy" by Hope Sarna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Belle is a spirited young girl who seems to be in the midst of a big dilemma. You see, Belle does not enjoy the same things that she sees most other girls her age enjoying. She would much rather wear a pirate costume than a dress. She prefers dinosaurs to dolls, and she likes playing soccer a whole lot more than she likes fairies. Due to the societal beliefs of what is proper and what is not proper for little girls to wear and play with, Belle thinks she cannot possibly enjoy the things she does and still be a little girl. Therefore, Belle tells her mother one day that she wants to be a boy! Her mother’s reaction is both wise and accepting as she passes along some personal insight to her young, impressionable daughter.

I Want To Be A Boy is a captivating picture book in which many young children will likely relate. Inspired by her own young daughter named Belle, author Hope Sarna has written a story of honesty and acceptance for both children and caregivers. This simple tale holds an important moral for children just beginning to form their identities and personalities, and for those beginning to truly grasp their likes and dislikes.

The illustrations within this lovely story are very animated and eye-catching. The language used, as well as the way this story is worded, makes it appropriate for children of all ages. It is a quick and fun read, and should easily hold the attention of the child or children enjoying this lively tale.

Being honest about who you are, while also accepting others for who they truly are, are not gender specific ideals. Therefore, I think that both boys and girls should benefit from reading this book. I think this book could easily fit into classroom curriculum, or simply be enjoyed as an after school or bedtime story. I highly recommend teachers and caregivers look into sharing this story with the young child or children in their lives.

I rate the delightful tale, I Want To Be A Boy, 4 out of 4 stars. I love the way Hope Sarna approaches the issue of not quite fitting into the predetermined molds within our society. She keeps the story lighthearted and delightfully fun, while expertly tieing in the wonderful message and moral. This book is a great way to open a discussion about acceptance and understanding, whether in an academic setting or at home. I, personally, plan to read this book with my own two sons.

I want to be a boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is a very smart way to tackle this complex issue. I think it would open horizons for the little ones, and help them understand and accept. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 06:49 This is a very smart way to tackle this complex issue. I think it would open horizons for the little ones, and help them understand and accept. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Thank you! Understanding and acceptance are definitely modeled in this book. I appreciate the feedback. :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow - what a sensitive approach to such a tough subject.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 736
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

This book is talking about a transgender child opening up to her mother. This is a book I would like to read myself because it is something that is so confusing but interesting.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

When I first saw the title, I immediately thought it was about a girl who wanted to become a boy. Now I see it is about a girl who has interests that do not fit a gender norm (so she may be considered to be a tomboy). I think there are a lot of girls who could relate to this, because there are a lot of girls who may like games, books, or activities that are typically preferred by boys. I just worry that the title may be too off putting or misleading for some schools to accept, because there is still a lot of debate about whether gender norms should be discussed with children at all.
:character-ariel:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This was me until I reached puberty. I would like to read more.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

I welcomed this review; this seems like a truly worthy book, given the need for compassion now more than ever regarding differences, and being taught this early, I can see why the reviewer suggested the following:
Being honest about who you are, while also accepting others for who they truly are, are not gender specific ideals. Therefore, I think that both boys and girls should benefit from reading this book. I think this book could easily fit into classroom curriculum, or simply be enjoyed as an after school or bedtime story. I highly recommend teachers and caregivers look into sharing this story with the young child or children in their lives.
I'll have to read this, especially as I know a lot of friends who have young children, and the challenge to find media that support their desire to teach inclusiveness, as well as self-acceptance, might benefit from a book like this.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Aww, that's so sweet. Unlike the past modern children are much wiser. Sometimes we may think they are just asking silly questions but they are very serious. I'm glad that the author focused on this topic. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

teacherjh wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 11:40 Wow - what a sensitive approach to such a tough subject.
It’s a fun read with a great message. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CLM1978 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 12:39 This book is talking about a transgender child opening up to her mother. This is a book I would like to read myself because it is something that is so confusing but interesting.
This is actually about a “tomboy,” but I can see where I may have been misleading in my review. It’s still a great message, and worth checking out. Thanks for your feedback!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Alicia09 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 14:03 When I first saw the title, I immediately thought it was about a girl who wanted to become a boy. Now I see it is about a girl who has interests that do not fit a gender norm (so she may be considered to be a tomboy). I think there are a lot of girls who could relate to this, because there are a lot of girls who may like games, books, or activities that are typically preferred by boys. I just worry that the title may be too off putting or misleading for some schools to accept, because there is still a lot of debate about whether gender norms should be discussed with children at all.
I agree with you. When I first saw the title, those were my thoughts as well. Then I read the description, and realized my initial thoughts were wrong. While I don’t think the actual subject matter of this book is taboo, I do think the title will keep some adults from even considering the book for his or her child. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 18:42 This was me until I reached puberty. I would like to read more.
Thank you! I hope you’ll check it out :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kgaelsdottir wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:22 I welcomed this review; this seems like a truly worthy book, given the need for compassion now more than ever regarding differences, and being taught this early, I can see why the reviewer suggested the following:
I'll have to read this, especially as I know a lot of friends who have young children, and the challenge to find media that support their desire to teach inclusiveness, as well as self-acceptance, might benefit from a book like this.
Inclusiveness and self-acceptance are important ideas to teach our youth and each other. If we can find fun books to assist with that, it makes it that much easier. Thank you for your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 23:25 Aww, that's so sweet. Unlike the past modern children are much wiser. Sometimes we may think they are just asking silly questions but they are very serious. I'm glad that the author focused on this topic. Thank you for your review!
You are so right! Children are very wise and intuitive. We just have to listen and give them credit. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Return to “Children's Books”