Official Review: Anna and the Snowglobe by Vicki Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Anna and the Snowglobe by Vicki Jones

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna and the Snowglobe" by Vicki Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The gift was beautiful. An exquisite angel surrounded by falling white flakes graced in the inside of the snowglobe. However, when the final flake touched the bottom the angel disappeared. Author Vicki Jones tells the magical story of a young teen-aged girl in her work of children’s fiction titled Anna and the Snowglobe.

Anna moved in with her uncle, aunt, and cousin when her parents tragically died. Aunt Joan and cousin Sophie treated Anna with hurtful contempt each and every day. Sophie and her friends made Anna’s days at school almost unbearable. Thank goodness for David. He saw Sophie for who she was, and he truly liked Anna. He and Anna became close friends in and out of school. Anna was pleased to receive a lovely gift from David. The snowglobe was more than just lovely to behold. The globe held magical powers that would change the lives of everyone in Anna’s life forever.

This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Many children struggle with the loss of loved ones. Bullying is, likewise, a difficult journey for many families today. This is a story that addresses these issues in a gentle and, in many ways, fun manner. Children ages nine to twelve would enjoy reading this book. Children ages five to eight would enjoy listening to an adult as they read this story to them. This suspenseful tale will keep young readers’ attention through to the end. This book creates a fun way to teach children about teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family.

The author’s clever use of context clues is sure to enrich her young readers’ vocabulary. This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. The story is told with simple and understandable language. There one grammar error, but this mistake did not cause distractions. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read, and it is sure to inspire young imaginations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. The themes and lessons of determination and the importance of family are clear and presented in an understandable way. Reading Anna and the Snowglobe to or with children will help parents and teachers start conversations about many difficult issues that children cope with today. Furthermore, this is a fun, entertaining, and magical story that the entire family can enjoy together.

Anna and the Snowglobe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Bullying and the loss of loved ones are crucial issues that need to be tackled with care and wit. I guess this book does just that. I enjoyed your passionate and engaging review. Thank you. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I reviewed this one as well, but it had some editing issues when I read it. I'm glad to see that the author has edited the book. It would definitely deserve a 4 star rating, then! Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like a beautiful book for children. I'd definitely buy it for mine, if I had kids. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

It doesn't sound terribly original, but it does seem to perfect the mold that it's taken on! Thank you for the descriptive review.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

What a lovely review on what appears to be a story that is both practical and endearing. It sounds like an ideal book for young people and as a story to read to younger children. The book cover really grabbed my attention, I thought it was quite beautiful, but then I do love snow globes. Thanks for the nicely written review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. It sounds like a good book that will help children learn about kindness and about how to deal with difficult issues. It's nice to see that more books nowadays are keeping with this theme!
Shmuck_reader
Currently Reading: Oathbringer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shmuck-reader.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Shmuck_reader »

This sounds magical :) I think I would enjoy reading it too. A magical fiction with realistic moral messages are always worth reading in my opinion. Thanks for the review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book revolving around themes of loss, bullying, and anxiety sounds helpful. Any book that helps kid to fight bullying and teaches them about teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family in a fun way is an important one. That the book was well written and edited is another plus. I am not the target audience, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review! I was instantly drawn to the title of this book since I love snowglobes. It seems to have very good themes for school age children. The cover art is beautiful too!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

It's hard to lose loved ones, especially parents. I have a lot of cousins and I can't imagine them treating me poorly. Still, this sounds like a good book spreading the messages of friendship and kindness.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

JessNWheeler wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 16:40 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna and the Snowglobe" by Vicki Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The gift was beautiful. An exquisite angel surrounded by falling white flakes graced in the inside of the snowglobe. However, when the final flake touched the bottom the angel disappeared. Author Vicki Jones tells the magical story of a young teen-aged girl in her work of children’s fiction titled Anna and the Snowglobe.

Anna moved in with her uncle, aunt, and cousin when her parents tragically died. Aunt Joan and cousin Sophie treated Anna with hurtful contempt each and every day. Sophie and her friends made Anna’s days at school almost unbearable. Thank goodness for David. He saw Sophie for who she was, and he truly liked Anna. He and Anna became close friends in and out of school. Anna was pleased to receive a lovely gift from David. The snowglobe was more than just lovely to behold. The globe held magical powers that would change the lives of everyone in Anna’s life forever.

This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Many children struggle with the loss of loved ones. Bullying is, likewise, a difficult journey for many families today. This is a story that addresses these issues in a gentle and, in many ways, fun manner. Children ages nine to twelve would enjoy reading this book. Children ages five to eight would enjoy listening to an adult as they read this story to them. This suspenseful tale will keep young readers’ attention through to the end. This book creates a fun way to teach children about teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family.

The author’s clever use of context clues is sure to enrich her young readers’ vocabulary. This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. The story is told with simple and understandable language. There one grammar error, but this mistake did not cause distractions. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read, and it is sure to inspire young imaginations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. The themes and lessons of determination and the importance of family are clear and presented in an understandable way. Reading Anna and the Snowglobe to or with children will help parents and teachers start conversations about many difficult issues that children cope with today. Furthermore, this is a fun, entertaining, and magical story that the entire family can enjoy together.

Anna and the Snowglobe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
What an insightful and interesting review! I think it extremely useful for you to include specific age ranges for children who might like this book or for children to whom this book could be read. Good job.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thank goodness for David’s friendship to Anna! As an orphan who struggled with loss and loneliness at home and bullying at school, Anna needed a friend. This book teaches valuable and relevant lessons to today’s children.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The book sounds entertaining an educative especially to the young adult. The author addresses a sensitive aspect of life that needs to be eradicated from the society. I hope to draw some points from the book on that note. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

A children's fiction where the author tells the magical story of a young teen-aged. This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. The author’s clever use of context clues is sure to enrich her young readers’ vocabulary.

Return to “Children's Books”