Official Review: Anna and the Snowglobe by Vicki Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Official Review: Anna and the Snowglobe by Vicki Jones

Post by CheyenneR »

I appreciate the author covering topics such as bullying in an easy to understand and approachable way for younger readers.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Anna and the Snow Globe by Vicky Jones can turn out to be a worthy addition to the genre of children's books or tween books as it tackles the isolation of orphaned children and worse, orphaned bullied children. Right off the bat, we see why Anna turns to a supernatural friend to cope with her circumstances. I expect it to be touching, fun and a bit haunting.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the nice review. I enjoyed reading it. I would love to read this book and just find out what this gift that David gave could do. It is nice to read that the book has some element of suspense in it as well. Quite unique for books in this genre.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
library500
Currently Reading: Building Your Financial Empire One Brick At A Time
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by library500 »

This book teaches about values that are important and issues that most kids have to deal with at school and at home, mine included. It is easy to read which makes it great for kids. Young adults benefit too from the story. A family certainly could have a good discussion going here. Thanks for your review.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Books about loss and bullying are fairly difficult to find. From the sound of it, this book meets the criteria.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I liked that sample simply based on the exploration of bullying. But now knowing from your review that there is magic involved, I am even more interested in reading this book. Thank you for a great review.
Rajat Pandey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rajat Pandey »

I'm so pleased to have found this book. My youngest has really struggled with anxiety and I bought this hoping it would help. What a wonderful, sensitively written story. Even my eldest who doesn't suffer with the same issues loved it. I would recommend this book to all children. It's beautiful
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The loss of loved ones alters the course of someone's life in ways that can't be explained. The fact that the author tackles this issue as well as bullying impresses me greatly. This seems like it would be a great read for children. Congrats on BOTD.
flareXx01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flarexx01.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by flareXx01 »

I enjoyed reading your review, it was simple and easy to understand. Anna reminds me of Cinderella.
I agree with you, I know for a fact that I would enjoy this book as a child and even as a twelve to thirteen year old. The book is well written as well as the review which will surely make parents buy the book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I have just sampled the free pages of the book and found it somehow painful with Anna being bullied, but I'm glad to learn through your intriguing review that it's a fun and entertaining read for children.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book doesn't really sound like my sort of read based on this review, but I am very glad that it approaches the subject of losing loved ones and bullying. I hope that parents/guardians will take the opportunity to gently discuss these matters with their children while also keeping them entertained. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the reviews I am curious about the book. I want to know how the author used bullying within the story. I also like how the characters are relatable. I might give this book a chance and see if it would be something my younger siblings would enjoy.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

This book sounds great for children, even I would read it. I loved reading as a child and I can see how I could have enjoyed this as a teenager. Bullying and losing a loved one is something a lot of us has suffered with as a child. Being able to read a story about it with positive relationships coming from it when we were young, would have definitely helped us escape, even if for a little while.
Mark72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Mark72 »

The book reminds me of the Hollywood exciting movie "Anna", with some similarities here and there. Especially, with both characters being orphans. While in the movie "Anna" was seen rescuing a dog from some bullies, here in the book "Anna" is the one being rescued from the bullies. The lost dog found a friend in "Anna" (from the movie), in this book "Anna" found a friend who gave her a Snowglobe.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A children's fiction book that touches the themes of bullying, teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family. This is a book definetly for me. Is intended for children but is a fun read. Congratulations on BOTD.

Return to “Children's Books”