Official Review: The Adventure of Benny Franklin by Roxy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Adventure of Benny Franklin by Roxy

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventure of Benny Franklin" by Roxy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was a teenager I ran away from home for a few hours. I grabbed my backpack, my headphones, and portable CD player then took off. It was late at night and cold but I didn't care, I just got on the bus (public transit is still one of my favorite inventions of all time!) and rode around for a while before coming home. The experience still sits with me today as one of the meanest things I ever did, and I'd imagine it's something many parents fear their children may do one day.

It was with this history that I dove into The Adventure of Benny Franklin by Roxy. The premise is simple: a young boy decides that enough is enough and runs away from home, but finds things aren't as great as they seem outside his father's home. Benny's father is physically abusive to the point of making him fear for his life, and he frequently leaves him locked out of the house to sleep without dinner. I wouldn't be surprised if any child ran away from those circumstances, although Roxy was right and things end up far worse when Benny runs away.

I expected to see things like the dangers and discomfort of sleeping in an alley begging for food scraps, but that would've sounded like a lovely dream compared to what Benny went through. Things somehow go remarkably well at first as he sleeps in the woods, but then pirates capture and enslave him. A year passes and he finally escapes, but he ends up captured again from the mysterious island he discovered. Once more he's able to escape, but then when he returns home his childhood friend murders the woman who was caring for him for seemingly no reason and pins the murder on Benny who he doesn't even recognize after all these years.

This and more happens over the course of what Amazon calls 26 pages but was only 9 in the PDF I reviewed. In fact, the story moves so fast that years passed repeatedly within a few sentences or paragraphs. The entire story felt like a slightly detailed of a book, not a completed piece. None of the events in the book last more than a few paragraphs, which means I never felt connected to what I read at all.

I also had a hard time being drawn in because of the ridiculous number of errors I found. I typically try to count all the errors I find in a book, but when I had counted over 70 in the first three pages alone I gave up! There were so many I found myself having to re-read each paragraph; I couldn't count errors and focus on the plot at the same time. Paragraphs often had 3, 5, or even 10 errors each, and the majority of them are things that would be picked up by even the least qualified editors. I found myself scratching my head and hitting up Google at one point as well - the book is set in the mid-1800s and at one point a character makes a phone call. I looked up when Alexander Graham Bell made his famous first phone call and it was 1876, 20 years after the setting in the book. This took me a couple minutes to look up, and the author certainly should've taken the time to do the same.

Worst of all is that the plot is just so ridiculous. Having a child run away from an abusive, terrible father doesn't teach a lesson like I was expecting, aside from perhaps that abused children are just screwed and have no hope because running away means you'll become a slave, lose everyone you ever care for and be set up for murder. The end is even worse; it lacks a true conclusion and I wasn't a fan of the direction it took at all. The character depth is nonexistent so I really didn't care about what happened, even to Benny himself. My rating of The Adventure of Benny Franklin is 1 out of 4 stars; even if the book had no errors at all I don't see giving it a better score. This is an incomplete story, not even a first draft, that needs a massive amount of editing.

The Adventure of Benny Franklin
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I can imagine the disappointment you must have had, going through with this book. I think I will skip this one. Thanks for the candid and comprehensive review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Oh man, I can feel your disappointment in reading this book. Thank you for your honest review that I have to pass this one.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow 70 errors in the first 3 pages? I can't even imagine. Thankfully it was a short book and you didn't have to suffer long. It sounds like this book could be a great story if more time was given to it and a good editing. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That sounds so disappointing.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

As I started reading your review, I was like oh this book might be for me just based on the topic. Then, to read how much of a dud it was was disappointing to hear. I'll be sure to skip this one.

Thanks for your honest review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This sounds really disaapointing. You tried enduring this book. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Children's Books”