Review by Cheyenne Perkins -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheyenne Perkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenne-perkins.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Cheyenne Perkins -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

Post by Cheyenne Perkins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley's childrens book Sigfried's Smelly Socks is a charming little tale. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 due to its humorous nature. With no grammatical errors I could see, Foley creates a story that directly speaks to the reader. Foley craftily uses rhymes like, "could it be the old pizza slice that marked my place as I read? Or the peanut butter and jelly chuncks I let dribble off my bread" to bring the reader closer to the story and relate to them.

For instance, I can remember reading a book when I was young. I would read a book in the evenings. I would always have a snack with me, and I would end up getting food on the book's pages. It's something avid readers have a tendency to do. Especially if that avid reader happens to be a child. It's visual appeal will draw children to it.

I'm terms of the story itself, we also learn about Sigfried's life and family as we read. Even though this is a relatively short book, we find out that Sigfried has a dog, a brother, a baby sister, and an uncle Kato. Foley manages to pack a lot of relateable personal information in this short piece.

This book is gross, and I mean that in the friendliest way possible. Much like most children's books, this story does teach a lesson. By page 23 we start to see Sigfried clean up after himself. He starts to use soap, water, and a brush. These are things young children need to learn to use.

The only thing I am not sold on is the last page. Foley could have left off the story at page 25. I get that the last image of Sigfried in the toilet is supposed to be funny, but I didn't find it humorous at all. However, each image the story has adds to its humor in regards to children. Not adults. The images are child-like in apprarance, and I believe that this can help children appreciate the story even more. It's almost as if the child wrote and drew the story themselves.

All in all, if your a parent looking for a short enticing bedtime story this is the way to go. It's colorful, witty, and fun. It'll keep your child engaged as well as teach them a lesson about hygiene. Sigfried continues to try and get rid of his socks, and this adds to the circumstantial humor of the story. Try and try again, and make us laugh while doing it.

This book is worth a read at least once. This silly story is perfect for preschoolers and kindergarteners, because of its charming simplicity. Perhaps, I was to engrossed in the story to notice any typographical errors, but I truly didn't notice any. The story flows nicely, and if there are any errors they are not easily noticed. I am unaware as to whether or not this author wants to or has made this book into a comical series. If so, I look forward to future instalments.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cheyenne Perkins's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Children are always drawn in by humorous, relatable stories with equally attractive illustrations. Smelly socks, though an interesting theme to write about, is definitely something that children can relate with. The important thing is to explain the young readers that the right thing to do is to clean up, and have a discussion about hygiene and being clean.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”