Review by RoxMcG -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
RoxMcG
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxmcg.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by RoxMcG -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by RoxMcG » 19 Aug 2018, 02:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tony the Superhero by R.D Base is a sweet and simple children’s book, perfect for children who are just learning to read. This book first introduces us to Tony, who has a lot of fun being a superhero. Among many other activities he likes to play, sing, eat, sleep and do his chores. Tony the Superhero does lots of normal everyday tasks, showing kids that they too can be superheroes like him. He even helps his mom with the cleaning and by doing so young readers might be encouraged to do the same. The book has short sentences and clear, colorful pictures.

I like that the book is very colorful and practical for young readers. It has simple, easy to read words and short sentences. The pictures are bright and correspond well with the writing, which helps readers understand the meanings of the words they are reading. I also like that the book has a positive message, encouraging children to rescue animals, dust, sweep and help others. As a child I was especially passionate about saving animals, so I especially liked that part.

I also like that the book encourages creativity. Tony likes to sing, dance, swim, draw and read. This can help children become confident about their creative talents. Starting at a young age kids begin to develop their creative skills and seeing Tony the Superhero be creative encourages them to do that. As they develop these skills they also become more confident. I just love it!

My only complaint about this book is that I feel like the author has missed some opportunities. Instead of telling us that “Tony likes to eat” the author could have said something like: “Tony likes to eat his vegetables;” or instead of telling us that “Tony likes to play” they could have told us that Tony likes to play nicely, or that he likes to share, or something along those lines. This way moms like myself can even use Tony the Superhero to encourage our kids to eat their broccoli and to play nicely with others. I still think it was a wonderful book though.

Overall, I rate Tony the Superhero a 4 out of 4. It is a great book for little readers, it’s got cute pictures and a positive message. I am glad to have read it and in a few years I will definitely be using it to help my son learn how to read.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like RoxMcG's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”