Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scary Snow Day" by Kyle Derby Pratt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt is a children’s picture book about a young boy who is afraid to go sledding. Timmy wakes up and sees it’s snowing outside. He is happy to hear on the radio that school is cancelled due to the snow. While Timmy would love to go sledding, he is nervous as the hill near his home is so big. Will he be able to conquer his fears and enjoy sledding?

This short book is written completely in rhyme. However, it’s not immediately apparent that the lines rhyme. The sentences are formatted in a traditional paragraph style rather than each sentence being on a separate line. It would have been better to structure the lines on separate lines so that the rhyming style is clear.

The plot gets right to the point. After the initial thrill of having a day off from school, Timmy becomes apprehensive about sliding down such a big hill on his sled. The story is easy to understand, with a clear problem that arises. Children will be able to relate to being scared to do something that seems difficult. Reading about Timmy’s plight would let them know they are not alone, that other children get scared, too.

Timmy is the only character in the story. One page shows other children sledding, but Timmy doesn’t interact with any of them and he is alone throughout the book. As a result, the storyline is a little bland without any conversation with a parent or friend. The plot could have been enhanced with even one other character, as a parent could have comforted Timmy or offered encouragement. Still, there is a useful moral to the story that would be relatable to both children and adults.

With simple word choices and short sentences, the book is an ideal choice for children who are beginning to read independently. The bright, cheerful illustrations closely follow the actions described on each page. This is an important aspect since it’s helpful to provide visual clues for children who are learning to read. There are a few instances where thought bubbles are used to show what Timmy is thinking about. These bubbles add depth to the story as they help children to understand the character’s thought processes.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the aforementioned issues, the story is an entertaining read with a universal moral. I would recommend the book to children ages 3-8. Parents or teachers can read the book aloud to younger kids, while older kids could enjoy reading it independently.

The Scary Snow Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Wow! This is full of teachings for children. Children will learn to overcome their fears through this book.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate the moral behind the book. It's a useful read for both parents and children. Great review, as always. Thanks. :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

What's really great about children's books is the contribution and the positive effect that it can implant in them. It's always a great thing to expose children to love books and this sure is one way. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my review and post a comment. It's always nice when a book can be both fun and educational.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around fear of sledding sounds good. Too bad the the storyline is a bit bland, but at least the bubbles add depth to the story. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I think it's common for kids to be afraid to try something new so the story is very relatable.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree that it's a good idea to have a few more characters to enhance the narrative a little. It sounds like it worked out without that aspect either way.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:25 I agree that it's a good idea to have a few more characters to enhance the narrative a little. It sounds like it worked out without that aspect either way.
Great review!
It still was a cute story, but I think the fear aspect could have been enhanced with at least one character to help comfort and encourage the young boy.
Princeroland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Princeroland »

so interesting, really love this book, it will surely educate parents on the importance of intimating their children on how to drive fear away when growing up
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Awww! I feel sorry for Timmy for not even having a friend! It still sounds like a cute story that could help teach children how to overcome their fears. After all, we're all afraid of something. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I grew up in sledding country. This sound like a good story about facing your fears.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This sounds like a fun read with a great message. Thanks for the review. I like that it focuses on overcoming fears, I hope it will help several children overcome their own.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Thanks for your review. This book sounds like it's educational in that children will learn that they aren't alone when it comes to their fears. I just might have to check this one out.

Return to “Children's Books”