Review by Random reader -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Random reader
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-random-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Random reader -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Random reader » 11 Aug 2018, 18:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero, written by R.D. Base and illustrated by Debbie Hefke, is a children's book introducing the young ones to a new superhero named 'Toni'. The book starts with establishing the superhero to the readers and proceeds on painting him as a regular child enjoying his everyday adventures. There are beautiful illustrations on every page of the book with a one-liner about Toni's activities. It's a well-written book for educating kids and engaging with them.

I like that the book portrays Toni doing mundane chores, wearing his superhero costume. Toni's personality is not a quintessential one, the one where superheroes only do unusual things which makes it difficult for the reader to connect with the character. Here the superhero is shown doing everything from indoor activities like reading and drawing to outdoor activities like playing with his friends and rescuing animals. He even helps in dusting and sweeping. Packed with its interactive style, this book is sending a very strong message across about the importance of educating essential values to children from a very young age and inculcating healthy habits in them. This book is playing its own part in building up the minds of little ones by providing them with a young superhero to which they can relate and learn from. I particularly loved the illustrations where Toni is pictured taking part in all sorts of activities, and there are specific details in every illustration making it meaningful. 

Not only this book teaches kids to develop good habits from a very young age, but through its wonderful illustrations, also seeks to teach them about the value of being down to earth and helpful to others in spite of having superhero powers and advantages over others. I admire the fact that this book is very straightforward in its approach and very light to read for young readers.

I enjoyed its unique style which makes it extremely easy to comprehend. The only part that I didn't like was the absence of a storyline. I think if this had a storyline it would have been much more engaging for the children. But considering this book is aimed at a very young population, I do believe that this lack of a storyline makes it apt for those children who have just started learning how to read and write.  

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its creativity in dealing with complex teachings through basic and easy-to-understand sentences and pictures. There is actually nothing to detest about this book, and I found no errors. I see this book as a medium through which kids can learn not only to read and write simple one line sentences but also learn how to take care of others and oneself through participating in different activities. Parents can also read this to their children to instill good values in them. I highly recommend this book to every parents and adult to buy and give it to children or read it to them. This is the first installment in Toni the Superhero book series, so it seems like the little ones are soon going to get a new unconventional superhero.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Random reader's review? Post a comment saying so!

joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by joycechitwa » 13 Aug 2018, 07:13

Great review for an exciting children's book. Children will definitely love to interact with Toni and his relatable superhero character. I like that the sentences are simple and that pictures complement the message that the sentences are relaying. Sounds like a delightful book for children and their caregivers to enjoy together.

Random reader
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-random-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Random reader » 13 Aug 2018, 10:26

Thank you so much. Yes, I agree with you. Reading with kids is a fun way to complement their learning.

Return to ‚ÄúVolunteer Reviews‚ÄĚ