Official Review: Moving Again !!! With Rylan and Henry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Moving Again !!! With Rylan and Henry

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Moving Again !!! With Rylan and Henry" by Christy Jordan Wrenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After days and nights traveling on the Alaskan Highway, Rylan was tired and homesick. He did not want to move from his home in Alaska to North Carolina, and he began to cry. Author Christy Jordan Wrenn tells the story of Rylan and his military family in Moving Again with Rylan and Henry.

Rylan, his mother, and his sisters were so happy when Dad came home from deployment. Rylan had missed spending time with his dad. They went fishing, mowed the lawn, rode his bike, worked on the four-wheeler, and played basketball. Rylan felt unsure when his parents announced that the family would be moving to South Carolina. It was so far away. Rylan’s biggest concern was what would become of his friend, Henry the mouse. Soon the family’s belongings were loaded onto the moving truck, and Rylan and his family began their 4,421-mile road trip to their new home in North Carolina.

This story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Many children struggle with the confusion of moving to a new home, especially children in military families. This story will give these children an understanding that they are not alone, and their feelings are valid. Children ages nine to twelve would enjoy reading this book. Children ages five to eight would enjoy listening to an adult as they read this story to them. This family’s adventure will keep young readers’ attention through to the end. This book creates a fun way to teach children about bravery, kindness, and the importance of family.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. There is one minor editing error. Still, the story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read, and it is sure to inspire young imaginations.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations in this book are not outstanding. All of the pictures are sketches and some seem to have a dark hue. This story would benefit from bright and colorful pictures.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. The themes and lessons of determination and the importance of family are clear and presented in an understandable way. Reading Moving Again with Rylan and Henry to or with children will help parents and teachers start conversations about geography and the lives of military families. Furthermore, this is a fun and entertaining story that the entire family can enjoy together.

Moving Again !!! With Rylan and Henry
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really appreciate children's books like this that tackle subjects which are difficult for children to understand. It sounds like the author did a great job of making this relatable to young readers. Excellent review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I hope Rylan took his friend Henry the mouse with him when they relocated. Since I love chikdren's books (due to my obsession with cartoons), I will add this book on my to-read list. Intriguing review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I liked the review. I felt so bad when he found out that he had to move and leave everything behind. I wanted to cry. But the story sounds very good and I think that a lot of children could benefit from this book.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

It’s nice to see a topic regarding military families and the reality of that life shared through the eyes of a child. It will be interesting to find out if the emotional rollercoaster is relayed effectively in a relatable manner.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Although I don't read many children's books, this seems like a unique concept. Great themes and lessons for children going through what may seem like a very difficult thing to have to do.
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

I love to understand how Rylan handle himself. We used to living abroad and moved around a lot before. I did buy a book about third culture kids to learn how my kids will cope when they have to leave behind their best friends every time we had to move. Since you mentioned the book teaches children about bravely, kindness and the importance of family, I would like to give a go on this book.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Aww, the story is so heart-touching. I think this story would teach the children about handling themselves.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate a children's book that deals with a thorny issue in a smooth and smart way. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”