Official Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A yard full of Wonder" by Jean McCarthy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Yard Full of Wonder, written by Jean McCarthy and illustrated by Genesis Ray Pelobello, is a short children’s picture book about the various animals one girl has encountered in her backyard. Baby bunnies, a family of robins, a skunk, and a pair of love birds have all made their home in this girl’s yard.

The book begins with the narrator, an adolescent female, informing the reader that the story is all about the animal friends she has met in her backyard. However, the narrator is never properly introduced. The first page of illustration does not include an image of the narrator (although she is depicted later on), and the narrator never shares her name in the narrative. Moreover, the narrator is somewhat annoying, as she constantly uses exclamations like, ‘Oh my gosh !!’ This phrase hardly seems appropriate for the age level of the book, which given the bright illustrations, short narrative, and simple wording, appears to be children about three to seven years old.

The illustrations are brightly colored and depict cutesy images of the animals the narrator has seen in her yard. However, the illustrations were inconsistent at times. For instance, at one point the narrative describes a baby robin hopping around the yard and seeing new things. However, the corresponding illustration shows the narrator, a skunk and a bunny, but no robin. This illustration is also repeated a few pages later, leading me to believe that it was unintentionally placed by the narrative describing the baby robin.

This children’s book is fourteen pages long, yet the book is split up into four chapters. The use of chapters in this book seemed pointless, especially because some of the chapters are only one page. As for the font choice, the entire book is written in all caps, which was distracting. Lastly, some sentences end unnecessarily with multiple ellipsis, which is not only grammatically incorrect but may be confusing for new readers.

However, the biggest detractor to this book is the lack of a clear message. Other than describing the animals the narrator has met in her backyard, there is no plot or moral to this story. In order for children’s books to be memorable and for children to want to read the book again and again, there needs to be some type of message that children can learn from or a story they can relate to. Unfortunately, this book has neither, and ultimately ends abruptly without any type of conclusion. If more of an effort had been made to encourage young readers to enjoy the outdoors or learn about the different types of animals they might find in their backyard, this book could have been more impactful.

A Yard Full of Wonder missed the mark; the vague narrator, the disconnected illustrations and the awkward use of all caps make this book unappealing as a children’s book. The further lack of a moral or message also makes it difficult to recommend this book. Given the many issues noted above, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

A yard full of Wonder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, 😳 thank you for the detailed explanation of this review. Feel bad about the errors.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

The capital letters would definitely annoy me. Thank you for the review.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The errors would be annoying. But the children will learn about different animals. Nice review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

All caps is an odd choice for a picture book font. Thanks for your honest review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It must have been tiring to read the story with no moral. Thanks for the great review.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

I think the many issues highlited makes the book hard to understand. Thanks for the detailed review.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Thank you for such an honest review of A Yard Full of Wonder. It’s a shame that a topic that has the potential to develop into an exciting children's book missed the mark so drastically!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It seems strange that the narrator was not named in the beginning and that there really wasn't any story. Too bad the format didn't look nice. Even children stories should be written carefully and thoughtfully. I agree with you that "Oh, my gosh!" is not really a phrase that young children need to learn and say.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

When I saw the title of this book, I was enticed to find out what this book was about. I was full of wonder and then ended up being disappointed. It sounds like the book could have used a little more editing.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Wow, I can't believe a book for kids could miss the mark on so many levels. 4 chapters? Books like this always make me think of the atrocious singers on the American Idol auditions. You wonder why their friends and family don't say, "you can't sing!" Why did no one tell this author to fix her book! Excellent review. It was very informative.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 20:03 Wow, I can't believe a book for kids could miss the mark on so many levels. 4 chapters? Books like this always make me think of the atrocious singers on the American Idol auditions. You wonder why their friends and family don't say, "you can't sing!" Why did no one tell this author to fix her book! Excellent review. It was very informative.
You have a point there. It made me laugh.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That sounds like a pretty disappointing book. Sad.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Some people seem to think kid's books are easy to write and anyone can do it, including this author. All caps would be so distracting...

I read a book as a kid called The Magic Locket where the main character had no name. My cousins also got the same book. We all thought the main character had our names and that was one of the coolest things about the book, looking back.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's such a pity that the book missed the mark on so many counts! And a children's book at that. Sigh. Thank you for the review, nonetheless!

Return to “Children's Books”