Official Review: Whales and magic by Ruth finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Whales and magic by Ruth finnegan

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whales and magic" by Ruth finnegan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sinbad and the sailors danced with joy when they reached dry land. But it was not actually land. It was a whale! And this whale did not enjoy rowdy sailors on it’s back. Author Ruth Finnegan retells the tale of Sinbad and his magical journey in Whales and Magic: Sinbad the Sailor’s First Voyage, the Other Odyssey (Sinbad the Sailor, the Other Odyssey Book 1.)

Sinbad the poor porter stopped to rest on a bench outside of a rich merchant’s house. He complained to Allah about the injustice of his life of hard work as the rich merchant rested inside. The rich merchant heard the porter and invited him to come to him. The rich merchant’s name was Sinbad as well, and he was once a poor man. He had lost all of his riches when his father left him. He decided to set sail to regain his fortune. Sinbad the sailor and his crew were at sea for many days and nights. They felt great relief when they landed on a beautiful island. However, their elation turned to terror when the island began to shake. It was not land at all, it was a whale. The crew rushed to the ship and sailed away, leaving Sinbad behind. Alone and afraid, Sinbad would need faith and determination to survive.

This story is a recreation of an ancient tale. This colorful children’s book is meant to make an old story new for young readers. I enjoyed the story, and I will try to read it to my children because the magic and suspense will surely to capture their attention.

There are many grammatical errors throughout the text. These errors include missing, misplaced, and misspelled words. These unfortunate errors will confuse and distract an invested young reader.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. Kevin Nara's illustrations give each character a bright and engaging personality. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. The many grammar and editing errors in the book are very disappointing. Still, the themes and lessons of determination and the power of faith are clear and presented in an understandable way. Children ages nine and ten would enjoy reading this book if the many errors do not cause too much confusion. Also, children ages four to eight would enjoy listening to an adult read the book to them.

Whales and magic
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It sounds like an interesting read but it's not my kind of book. Hopefully the author get an editor or two on board soon, because having errors in a children's book is unacceptable. Glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I totally started to select this book, but then when I saw the author's name, I knew it was a no-go; I read one of her books and sampled another, and her writing is atrocious! And it's really such a shame because this sounds like a wonderful reimagining of the Sinbad tale, too! Thanks for the review, just the same.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for the warning about the writing errors. It sounds like a delightful story otherwise, and I enjoyed your review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review. This sounds like it could have been a fun book for kids. But any children's book with errors in spelling and grammar needs to be off the shelves.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The storyline sound like a nice one as I am left wondering what would happen to him being stuck on a whale. Nice review. Sad about the errors, hopefully, they would be corrected.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I always loved the story of Sinbad. And this story is so amazing. I just love it. Nice review!
obifemade
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers ((Musketeers Cycle)
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by obifemade »

It is an interesting book for children

But the are some gramtical error but since it is for children, this book can fly because am gonna read it loud for my boy.

Am gonna get this for my little boy

Thank you Ruth finnegal I appreciate your talent for kids.

Thank for the review

Return to “Children's Books”