Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Re: Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Post by Flowers123 »

It sounds like an excellent plot for children but one that is sure to keep the adults engaged as well. I like the simplicity with which difficult subjects such as loss of a loved one and divorce are handled here. Altogether I think it's an exciting story for children. Thanks for the review.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Many children who need to cope with the loss of a loved one or their parents' divorce make up imaginary friends like Larry, the Lounge Lizard in this story. I think they will easily relate to Oscar and would readily follow him in his unusual adventures on Larry's home planet, Tarastaria. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Delight081662
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Delight081662 »

From the above the book it is obvious that the writer is trying to paint a picture that will make emotionally affected children feel alright ..I love the fact that a harmless animal like is used in the book....although some children fear lizards but i think it is OK 8)
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

I love that this book helps children to cope with and understand loss, whether through death or divorce as is the case with this book. It sounds like an essential book to read to your children. Thank you for you wonderful review :)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Tarastaria, Larry's home planet, is full of interesting animals. Children and adults will be happy to learn more about Oscar's adventures on the new planet.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I like that your review pays attention to the social issues, not only to the magical world.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

This book creates a fun way to teach children about teamwork, kindness, and the importance of family.
If loss of loved ones and divorce are devastating to grown ups it should be traumatic to children. As the reviewer has stated, teaching the affected children about teamwork and acts kindness such as works of charity is a sure way of helping them. Thanks for the brief but informative review.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Eager to read this for i love children books as they take you to world without miseries and there is always a happy ending. Looking forward to a free copy☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I would definitely agree that this would be for the older children to explain the themes presented in this review. I also didnt realize it was for older children until reading this review, i think with the amount of writing and no illustrations that maybe it could have been noted on the cover as these are deep topics to discus and explain. I also felt that maybe in the title you could have put larrys name in it. So it would be The Adventures of Oscar and Larry The Lounge Lizard instead. Playing with the use of alliteration and creating a sense of a team or importance like the old book series about Frog and Toad.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! This story seem like a great investment for younger friends. I'm a bit confused whether this book targets a specific population of readers, especially those younger. Right now, I don't have an interest in reading this book.
nneeuche_1
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by nneeuche_1 »

I actually read this book over and over because of the love and care by Larry the lizard towards his friend Oscar.and the adventures. My children didn't want any other book than this.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

I think this book would appeal to children and adults alike. It presented important topics like death and especially on how to deal with divorce between parents.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Very thorough review, well done! I like children books that inspire as well as build vocabulary and this one does both. It's never easy to lose a loved one, therefore it os important that children learn different ways to cope. The lizard did that for the boy in this book. This book is very positive, teaching children the importance of family, teamwork and kindness. I will add this one too my bookshelves. Congratulations on BOTD.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It is hard for children to cope with the loss of a loved one. However it appears interesting to meet a talking lizard. What about the tyrannical empire? How will the boy survive?

Your review evokes some questions on the events that took place. I am sure that the children and young at heart will also enjoy reading this book.

Thanks for the review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

After reading the review, I couldn't help thinking that this could be the next bestseller. I especially like the way you pointed out how the various audience can benefit from reading the story. The whole review was exquisitely done.

:tiphat:

Thank you for that exquisite review.

Return to “Children's Books”